[sci.electronics] PCB designers

ee87kjh@cc.brunel.ac.uk (H J Harris) (02/25/91)

Does anyone know of any decent (preferably public domain !) packages
for either a 1040ST or Sun workstation that I can use to produce PCBs
from circuit diagrams ? i.e. do most of the placement & routing, and
then produce a printout which can be used to make the board. My
printer options are either a Star LC-10 or Apple LaserWriterII (post-
script).

I have heard there is a fairly old German package for the ST. Is it
any good ? (Schipol, or something like that !)

Thanks

Kevin Harris.

squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada) (02/28/91)

	There is a public domain PCB routing program available for the IBM
and the Mac. I know that the original C source code is also available and
may facilitate portability over to the Atari ST or Sun. If you have the Mac
option for the ST, then it should be a snap.

	The program can be found for the Mac on the anonymous FTP archives
at sumex-aim.stanford.edu it is listed under /info-mac/app/pcb-cad.hqx and
is encoded in Stuffit Binhex format (Mac compression schemes). It was
origanlly written by someone at Microsoft for the IBM (and unfortunately
is as tough to use as the IBM for a mac man).

	If you cannot do anonymous ftp, I can send you this program. It
comes with small instructions and modified (for macintosh) source code in
three segments (router, display, and printer). It can output in various
scales to a number of mac output devices.

	Hope that helps some....

Shishin "Squish" Yamada                    |\/\/\/|
 squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu  /---------\  |      |
 Northwestern University      | Yo      |  (o)(o) |
 Electrical Engineering       |  Dudes! \  ( <    )
 Class of 1991                \__________\ |___/  |
                                             \    |
  "Life sucks, but Death swallows!"          /    \
                                            /______\

scale@abode.wciu.edu (Luis Outumuro) (02/28/91)

In article <2014@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> ee87kjh@cc.brunel.ac.uk (H J Harris) writes:
>Does anyone know of any decent (preferably public domain !) packages
>for either a 1040ST or Sun workstation that I can use to produce PCBs
>from circuit diagrams ? i.e. do most of the placement & routing, and
>then produce a printout which can be used to make the board. My
>printer options are either a Star LC-10 or Apple LaserWriterII (post-
>script).
>
>I have heard there is a fairly old German package for the ST. Is it
>any good ? (Schipol, or something like that !)
>
>Thanks
>
>Kevin Harris.

	Hi Kevin,
		If it is available there in the UK, there is a program written
by Iliad called "Circuit Maker 2.0".  It might just be the program you are
looking for.  Bye............

					Luis

Luis Mark Outumuro III                |  "Well... you're damned if you do,
Computer Office Products 818/813-1051 |   and you're damned if you don't!"
Infoline                 818/813-1053 |         - Bart Simpson, 1990...

squishy@casbah.acns.nwu.edu (Shishin Yamada) (03/02/91)

	OK, I haven't logged in for two days, and there are *MANY* requests
for the PCB designer program I mentioned earlier. It is much easier for me
for those interested to try anonymous ftp and obtain it from the archive I
mentioned (sumex-aim). I also found some information regarding the original
IBM PC version of the program. For those that wrote and mentioned (few
said this) that they didn't have ftp capability, I could upload the program to
the sci-electronics newsgroup, but it is a 410K uncompressed program, and
would take A LOT of bandwidth (Is that OK?).

	Once again, the mac version is available via anonymous FTP from the
archives at sumex-aim.stanford.edu. It is listed under
/info-mac/app/pcb-cad.hqx. >>>> Please try anonymous ftp FIRST <<<<

	The original IBM PC version is available from the author (from the
readme file) if you send a disk and Self-Address Stamped Disk Envelope
Mailer. He works for Microsoft, and his address as of (1/89) is:

		Randy Nevin
		1731 211th PL NE
		Redmond
		WA 98053

	Hope that helps...

ken@csis.dit.csiro.au (Ken Yap) (03/04/91)

It's also archived at wuarchive.wustl.edu in mirrors/msdos/cad (I think).

arpajian@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Dean Arpajian) (03/05/91)

In article <2014@Terra.cc.brunel.ac.uk> ee87kjh@cc.brunel.ac.uk (H J Harris) writes:
>Does anyone know of any decent (preferably public domain !) packages
>for either a 1040ST or Sun workstation that I can use to produce PCBs
>from circuit diagrams ? i.e. do most of the placement & routing, and
>then produce a printout which can be used to make the board. My
>printer options are either a Star LC-10 or Apple LaserWriterII (post-
>script).
>
>Kevin Harris.

You may find that that you will have two problems:

1: Any "decent" PCB software that will do autorouting may be out of your
   price range (i.e. >$800 US) and that any that do autorouting are good
   for only LOW speed LOW impedance digital work... I wouldn't trust any
   autorouting prog for analog and/or wide bandwidth boards...

2: If you wish to make your boards "in house" or have a firm manufacture
   your boards, you will find that your artwork will not be adequate:

        either send your file off to a place that can make GERBER
        photo-plots OR capture your postscript output and take it
        to some place that has linotype (preferably a linotronic
        300 or better)...

   If you try to use the artwork from a laserwriter you will find two
   fun flaws:

        1: there is enough error (x-y) on the laserwriter's output
	   (over a large area) to say that it isn't truly WYSIWYG.

	2: The ouput from a laserwriter is not very opaque at all!
	   It turns out to be fairly unreliable for any traces
	   smaller than 0.030".

   And dot matrix? ya' gotta be kidding!

email me with any questions...

p.s. my disclamer doesn't apply here...These are the opinions/findings
     of both my boss and myself.
--
Dean Arpajian (aka--->  arpajian@rodan.acs.syr.edu)

std. disclaimer: if I expressed an opinion, remember this:
                 it's simply my opinion. period.