[sci.electronics] Help me equip myself for wire-wrap!

asd@cbnewsj.att.com (Adam S. Denton) (03/01/91)

Well, I am about to embark on my first major digital project.
My analog stand-bys (soldering iron, bare wire, perfboard, long-nose
pliers) just won't cut it.  So it's time I equipped myself for wire-wrapping.

I am starting from scratch, and am looking to find out:
  - which tools out there are good, and which aren't (I have heard to
    avoid the Just-Wrap, for example)
  - sources for those good wire-wrap tools
  - good sources for wire-wrap wire
  - Do people prefer bulk or pre-stripped wire?
  - Do people prefer the power wrappers or wrapping by hand?
  - How many different colors of wire do I need to "stock"?
  - Are there any opinions on what the best (or reasonably good) of
    the hand tools (strip, cut, wrap, unwrap) and the best power
    tools (ditto) are, and where to get them?
  - how about those accessories like pins, WW IC sockets, etc.?

I don't mind the cost of quality; I intend to be wire-wrapping for many
years to come, so I'd rather get *good* tools rather than *cheap* tools,
if there is a distinction.

Thanks in advance, and any opinions are appreciated!  E-mail and posting
are both fine.  I will summarize if there's interest.

P.S. Thanks to all those who responded regarding crystal vendors!!

Adam Denton
asd@mtqua.att.com

rpw3@rigden.wpd.sgi.com (Rob Warnock) (03/02/91)

In article <1991Feb28.233858.2360@cbnewsj.att.com> asd@cbnewsj.att.com
(Adam S. Denton) writes:
+---------------
| ...So it's time I equipped myself for wire-wrapping...
| I don't mind the cost of quality; I intend to be wire-wrapping for many
| years to come, so I'd rather get *good* tools rather than *cheap* tools,
| if there is a distinction.
+---------------

Yes, there is a distinction. There is a great difference in quality between
*any* of the "cheap" tools and just about any of the expensive ones, but not
so much difference among the expensive ones. I happen to be happy with both
Gardner-Denver (the orignal Wire-Wrap trademark holder) and OK Machine Tools.

Absolutely the best thing to have for volume (or many years) work is a
line-powered (i.e., no batteries) wrap gun, with a cut+strip+wrap bit/sleeve.
Note: I am *not* talking about "Slit-N-Wrap", but the professional power wrap
bit which has a slot in the side of the sleeve. When you push the end of an
unstripped wire into the bit, the end comes out of the slot in the sleeve.
When you pull the trigger [having placed the bit over the pin first!], the
rotation of the bit pinches the wire against the edge of the slot in the
sleeve and cuts the end off, thereby measuring precisely the length of wire
that will be wrapped. Then, the (designed) friction between the wire and
the hole (that you've poked the wire into) "snaps" the insulation, and pulls
it off the end of the wire as it's wrapped. [Note: You want to get the bit
and sleeve combination for a "modified wrap", that wraps the first 2 turns
*with* insulatioin, for strength.]

Now prepare yourself for a bit of sticker shock: These things are *not* cheap!
Prices do vary, so shop around, but here are some typical values:

	- Wrap gun (base unit, no bits)		$ 80.00
	- Bit/sleeve combo, #30 wire,
	  modified wrap, *not* self-stripping	$ 35.00
	- Bit/sleeve combo, #30 wire,
	  modified wrap, self-cutting/stripping
	  (as described above)			$200.00

That's right, you can pay $180 to $250 for the bit/sleeve combo alone!
And you'll have to replace them after a couple of years of medium use,
or a year of 8-hours-a-day-bench-tech use. But I happen to think it's
well worth it. With a self-stripping bit, the work goes 2-5 *times* as
fast (depending what you would have been using for cutting/stripping
without it). Everyone I know who's serious about wire-wrap uses them.

-Rob

-----
Rob Warnock, MS-1L/515		rpw3@sgi.com		rpw3@pei.com
Silicon Graphics, Inc.		(415)335-1673		Protocol Engines, Inc.
2011 N. Shoreline Blvd.
Mountain View, CA  94039-7311

bvs@light.uucp (Bakul Shah) (03/04/91)

asd@cbnewsj.att.com (Adam S. Denton) writes:
>I am starting from scratch, and am looking to find out:
>  - which tools out there are good, and which aren't (I have heard to
>    avoid the Just-Wrap, for example)
>  - sources for those good wire-wrap tools
>  - good sources for wire-wrap wire
>  - Do people prefer bulk or pre-stripped wire?
>  - Do people prefer the power wrappers or wrapping by hand?
>  - How many different colors of wire do I need to "stock"?
>  - Are there any opinions on what the best (or reasonably good) of
>    the hand tools (strip, cut, wrap, unwrap) and the best power
>    tools (ditto) are, and where to get them?
>  - how about those accessories like pins, WW IC sockets, etc.?
>
>I don't mind the cost of quality; I intend to be wire-wrapping for many
>years to come, so I'd rather get *good* tools rather than *cheap* tools,
>if there is a distinction.

Having just gone through this process here is my 40 Paisa's worth
(at the official rate).

Currently I have a friend's OK Industries WW tool and bought, on a
trial basis, an R3 series Wire-Wrap brand tool (made by Cooper
Tools.  I believe these used to be sold under the Gardner-Denver
name).  These are somewhat comparable in price, both are power
tools, and I am using 30 gauge cut-strip-wrap bit+sleeve with
each.  I am buidling two different ckt boards, and since I wanted
to compare the two tools, I used the R3 for one ckt and the OKI on
the other.  I think I will end up buying th R3 tool for a number
of reasons.  It is lighter, has a much better ergonomic design and
is very comfortable to use, easier to thread a wire, looks nicer,
has rechargeable batteries and can supposedly do 1100 wraps per
charge (the OKI runs off of 110V), can be used for wrapping as
well as unwrapping, seems to be more reliable etc.  The wire broke
frequently on the OKI but not on the R3.  Now admitedly, this is a
very incomplete comparison, some things may be peculiar to the
units I used (i.e. not a class property) so you should make your
own comparison if you can.

I found that many more stores carry the OKI tools and if you do
find Wire-Wrap brand tools, they are usually more expensive.
Fry's Electronics, here in Sillyvalley, sold me the R3 tool for
about $180 (even though the price sticker on it was for $199.95!).
They didn't have the CSW bit/sleeve or the CSW wire, which I got
from Com-Kyl -- call up Cooper tools for a dealer name in your
area.  The few, commonly known, stores that I tried were way more
expensive, so do call around.  Try to get tools on a trial basis
so that if you don't like them after some use you can return them.

Pre-stripped wire is much more expensive so I don't use it.
Stripping by hand takes some time and stripping real short wire is
a pain.  I prefer CSW bits for faster work but they are much more
expensive than the normal ones (about three times).  One other
thing to consider is whether to by a tool with backforce or none
(an internal spring that let the bit push back upto a point
without your having to gently move the tool back).  Some people
prefer backforce device, I don't even though I am just a beginner.

If you buy a normal bit (not CSW), get the `modified wrap' bit --
it wraps a some insulated wire as well for better withstanding of
vibrations.

As for number of colors to stock, I'd like some ideas for more
experienced people.  I use a small number of colors, one for each
logical group of signals (such as data bus, control signals, VCC,
ground and so on).

The R3 can be used for unwrapping as well, by switching the
battery connection but I just use a hand tool for that.  That
will change if ever I make massive mistakes!

30 guage wire works for most everything but I'd like to know what
people use for VCC and ground.  Do they wire-wrap with a thicker
guage or solder?  Also what about decoupling caps?  I am using
inline caps (like so: ------O-----) and solder one between vcc and
gnd directly on a socket *before* inserting it in the board.  But
there must be a better way.  (You can get sockets with caps
already attached but I didn't find them in all sizes and they
were expensive).

As for sockets I don't know which ones are the best or what are
the best / cheapest sources for them but would like to find out!
Packs for two/three sockets are expensive so buy the largest size
packets you are likely to use.  I'd also like to know of
inexpensive sources for the socket ID tags, perf board and such.

Let me also say I'd rather directly go to printed circuit boards
if at all possible; that is what I usually do.  If you are
reasonably careful in designing, using CAD tools, have access to
simulators (atleast for checking out PAL logic), can afford one or
two rounds of PCB making + circuit layout and want more than a
couple of copies, PCBs are the way to go.  Whenever possible I put
control signals I may want to change in PALs and leave some free
space and IO pins in each PAL so that most changes do not require
any major ripping up.

So... does anyone know of PCB houses that will make a small number
of two/four/six layer PCBs inexpensively?  Does anyone know of
people who will do circuit layout for a reasonable price?

Hope this was useful.  I also hope people with much more
experience than I will give us the benefit of their experience.
I'd like to see even more discussions of practical aspects of
circuit design, fabrication, routing, rules of thumb, sources of
components & tools, services available, new techniques and
technologies and new, interesting components etc. etc.  It would
also be nice if that sort of information can be organized,
compiled and posted occasionally.  If I weren't so busy *and*
disorganized I'd volunteer :-(

Sorry about going on and on.

-- Bakul Shah
   bvs@BitBlocks.COM
   ..!{ames,apple,decwrl,pyramid,sun,uunet}!amdcad!light!bvs

PS:  Here are some useful numbers.

Cooper Tools: 919 362 7510, FAX: 800 423 6175

    Tool:
	R3 27600AD8     -- standard, 110V (for the battery charger)
	R3 27610AD7     -- backforce, 110V
	R3 27650AD3     -- standard, 220V
	R3 27600AD2     -- backforce, 220V

    30 guage CSW Bit:    990764
    30 guage CSW sleeve: 990765

	42

I can't find the OKI catalog right now.

gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware CONTRACTOR) (03/05/91)

In article <88547@sgi.sgi.com> rpw3@sgi.com (Rob Warnock) writes:
>In article <1991Feb28.233858.2360@cbnewsj.att.com> asd@cbnewsj.att.com
>(Adam S. Denton) writes:
>| ...So it's time I equipped myself for wire-wrapping...
>
>Yes, there is a distinction. There is a great difference in quality between
>*any* of the "cheap" tools and just about any of the expensive ones, but not
>so much difference among the expensive ones. I happen to be happy with both
>Gardner-Denver (the orignal Wire-Wrap trademark holder) and OK Machine Tools.

I prefer Gardner-Denver.  The OK units need Tender Loving Care or they
spit at you (more exactly, twist your wire into globs and scream loudly
from mismated gears).

>Absolutely the best thing to have for volume (or many years) work is a
>line-powered (i.e., no batteries) wrap gun, with a cut+strip+wrap bit/sleeve.

The self-cutting and self-stripping bits are wonderful - BUT!!!!
All the cut/strip/wrap bits I've used have ABSOLUTELY REQUIRED the use
of special wire.  If you use the standard Kynar insulation wire wrap wire
you will destroy your $200 bit!!

The special wire is made with insulation which
  1) slips off the wire easily
  2) cuts cleanly
If the insulation fails to do either of these the cutting edges in the
bit are bent, and they are impossible to fix.

The right wire costs about the same as regular wire wrap wire.
Use the kind recommended by the bit manufacturer.

I would never use a slit-n-wrap for anything other than a paperweight.
Battery or hand powered wire wrap guns are useful for doing a repair
or other small number of wires.
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.