[sci.electronics] FCC certification

tran@portia.Stanford.EDU (Hy Tran) (03/03/91)

I know that some products need FCC certification (for instance,
computers).  Others (which have substantial computing power) don't:
Wristwatches, as far as I know, don't need FCC certification.

Can somebody point me to sources to find out more about what needs
certification & what doesn't (and if something needs certification,
how to do that)?

Thanks,

Hy Tran
tran@sun-valley.stanford.edu

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (03/03/91)

In article <1991Mar2.181838.26726@morrow.stanford.edu>, tran@portia.Stanford.EDU (Hy Tran) writes...

>I know that some products need FCC certification (for instance,
>computers).  Others (which have substantial computing power) don't:
>Wristwatches, as far as I know, don't need FCC certification.
>
>Can somebody point me to sources to find out more about what needs
>certification & what doesn't (and if something needs certification,
>how to do that)?

Go to a major library and find the Code of Federal Regulations, volume 47 part
15.  The whole process it non-trivial, believe me.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

lpdjb@brahms.amd.com (Jerry Bemis) (03/06/91)

This info is found in the FCC Bulitin OST 62 May 1984 sec 2.
     Any device that generates or uses timing signals at a clock rate
     greater than 10KHz and uses digital techniques.

Also see OET 55, MP-4, Title 47 (47 CFR) part 15 subpart A and J.

Address for the FCC printing office in San Francisco:
Room 1023, Federal Bldg
450 Golden Gate Ave.
San Francisco, CA  94102
(415) 556-0643
Another good number is (202) 783-3238.

In article <1991Mar2.181838.26726@morrow.stanford.edu> tran@portia.Stanford.EDU (Hy Tran) writes:

>I know that some products need FCC certification (for instance,
>computers).  Others (which have substantial computing power) don't:
>Wristwatches, as far as I know, don't need FCC certification.
>
>Can somebody point me to sources to find out more about what needs
>certification & what doesn't (and if something needs certification,
>how to do that)?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Hy Tran
>tran@sun-valley.stanford.edu

 LPDJB@brahms.amd.com
 Jerry Bemis  (408) 749-3327  (800) 538-8450 x43327
 AMD, POB 3453 - 45, Sunnyvale CA 94086-3000
from comuserve >INTERNET LPDJB@brahms.amd.com (or76326,2233--I never read it $k)