[sci.electronics] A simple amplifier question.....

chucko@ptolemy.arc.nasa.gov (Chuck Fry) (03/07/91)

[Cross-posted to sci.electronics for obvious reasons]

In article <17195@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> kube@kokoro.ucsd.edu (Paul Kube) writes:
>Has anyone tried large RF triodes, like the Eimac 3-1000Z, in audio
>applications?  I would guess that they wouldn't be linear enough, even
>in class A.  But a tube that can handle a kilowatt at 30MHz would sure
>give some dandy slew rates!

I've often thought that tubes like these would be ideal for 'heavy
metal' guitar amplifiers, because they could crank out enough power to
deafen an entire city.  Besides, in a cage-type enclosure, they'd look
like something out of the old horror movies (e.g. "Frankenstein").

But seriously, what are the considerations for using these killer
triodes, and what might one expect to pay per tube?

 -- Chuck Fry  Chucko@Charon.ARC.NASA.GOV  ...ames!ptolemy!chucko
Working for RECOM Technologies at NASA Ames Research Center,
neither of whom is responsible for this message.

"Sadly for the egos of engineers, much of what we hold dear does not
have critical market impact, because it's drowned out by factors that
are more important to customers." -- Dan Weinreb on the success of Un*x