[sci.electronics] Search for a Microprocessor

mece1v0@jetson.uh.edu (02/28/91)

I am searching for a microprocessor that was
discussed in one of the electronics magazine. The
one I am interested in had a built in Basic
interpreter that allowed the EPROM to be programed
in straight basic.
I know assemble code for both the 8088 and the 68000
series but would prefer to use basic because this is
the first project I have used a microprocessor in.

I currently race radio controlled cars and am
attempting to build a set of trap gates for the
local track. I am going to use two of the Sharp
inferred modules sold by Radio Shack as the
transducers.  My goals are to have four readouts
available which are feet per second, meters per
second, miles per hour, and kilometers per hour. If
anyone has seen projects of this nature please post
or mail a reference as to the whereabouts of any
articles or documentation.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

                               Shane Spencer
                               Houston, Texas
                               JETSON::MECE1V0

ftpam1@acad3.alaska.edu (MUNTS PHILLIP A) (03/01/91)

In article <8661.27cc7da1@jetson.uh.edu>, mece1v0@jetson.uh.edu writes...

>I am searching for a microprocessor that was
>discussed in one of the electronics magazine. The
>one I am interested in had a built in Basic
>interpreter that allowed the EPROM to be programed
>in straight basic.
>I know assemble code for both the 8088 and the 68000
>series but would prefer to use basic because this is
>the first project I have used a microprocessor in.
>
>I currently race radio controlled cars and am
>attempting to build a set of trap gates for the
>local track. I am going to use two of the Sharp
>inferred modules sold by Radio Shack as the
>transducers.  My goals are to have four readouts
>available which are feet per second, meters per
>second, miles per hour, and kilometers per hour. If
>anyone has seen projects of this nature please post
>or mail a reference as to the whereabouts of any
>articles or documentation.
>
>Thanks in advance for any replies.
>
>                               Shane Spencer
>                               Houston, Texas
>                               JETSON::MECE1V0

There have been at least 3 microprocessors with on-board basic interpreters:

     Z8671, from Zilog, a Z8 with Basic in ROM
     INS8073, from National Semiconductor, an INS8070 with Basic in ROM
     8052BASIC, from Intel, an 8052 with Basic in ROM

The first two are largely obsolete; the 8052BASIC is almost certainly the
device you are looking for.  It is available from hobbyist directed retailers
like Jameco Electronics.

There have also been devices that include a Forth kernel, based on 6502, 68HC11,
and Z8 cores, but I don't have any part numbers for these.

Philip Munts N7AHL
NRA Extremist, etc.
University of Alaska, Fairbanks

lamb@brahms.udel.edu (Richard E Lamb) (03/01/91)

Unless this is intended as a learning project, consider using a "toy"
personal computer... something like a Commodore Vic 20 would be perfect.
If you want, you could even burn your program into a game cartridge EPROM.
Strange?  Not really...
It has a microprocessor, keyboard, video display, a good BASIC interpreter,
several assemblers avalible, and can power-on execute a "game" program.
Dig around in the closet - there are probably a couple on the shelf there.
Think about it....

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (03/02/91)

In article <8661.27cc7da1@jetson.uh.edu> mece1v0@jetson.uh.edu writes:
-
-I am searching for a microprocessor that was
-discussed in one of the electronics magazine. The
-one I am interested in had a built in Basic
-interpreter that allowed the EPROM to be programed
-in straight basic.

You are looking for the 8052AH-BASIC (a member of the 8051/52 family with
BASIC in rom.  I believe Jameco sells it (but watch out for their new $50
minimum.)  Your best bet is to call Micro Mint (Steve Ciarcia's group).
They sell the chip, and a whole slew of single-board systems based on it.
Their phone number is 800 635-3355.

-I am going to use two of the Sharp
-infrared modules sold by Radio Shack as the
-transducers.
Just remeber that the LED will have to be running at 40 KHz for the detector
to pick it up.  Steve had an article on a laser beam-break detector in
an issue of Circuit Cellar Ink a few issues back.  Micromint should also
sell back-issues of CCI.

-  My goals are to have four readouts
-available which are feet per second, meters per
-second, miles per hour, and kilometers per hour.
You may want to use one of those LCD 2 linex20 char displays for this.
Info on talking to them is in back-issues of CCI, R-E, PopTronics, or
Modern. (I am sure of CCI and R-E.  At least one of the other two also had it)

Send me mail if you can't find those back issues.

Good Luck.
/mike
--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

bame@hpfcbig.SDE.HP.COM (Paul Bame) (03/05/91)

> I am searching for a microprocessor that was
> discussed in one of the electronics magazine. The
> one I am interested in had a built in Basic
> interpreter that allowed the EPROM to be programed
> in straight basic.

Someone else suggested using a small, old, BASIC computer
and I second that motion.  Not because I like BASIC or
those cheap keyboards, but they've already done all the
work and can be had at swapfests for about the price you
might pay for the BASIC uP.  By the time you'd wire a uP
and add case, display, and power supply, you'd spend much
more money and time.  Of course, if it's for the learning
experience, who cares?

> I am going to use two of the Sharp
> inferred [sic] modules sold by Radio Shack as the
> transducers.  My goals are to have four readouts
> available which are feet per second, meters per
> second, miles per hour, and kilometers per hour.

Be sure to figure out the expected error and/or time measurement
resolution so you can space the sensors appropriately to
gain the accuracy you require.  You may want to use at least
3 sensors so you can figure out and maybe compensate for
non-constant speed through the trap.  Heck, maybe use 8
sensors!

			-Paul Bame
			bame@fc.sde.hp.com	N0KCL

kingdom@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Kingdom) (03/05/91)

>Unless this is intended as a learning project, consider using a "toy"
>personal computer... something like a Commodore Vic 20 would be perfect.
>If you want, you could even burn your program into a game cartridge EPROM.
>Strange?  Not really...
>It has a microprocessor, keyboard, video display, a good BASIC interpreter,
>several assemblers avalible, and can power-on execute a "game" program.
>Dig around in the closet - there are probably a couple on the shelf there.
>Think about it....

Not only that, but you could pick up an IBM XT motherboard for $30 surplus
to use as the central processor. Then you could do the development on a
PC, test it on a PC, etc, then burn a ROM for the $30 mother board. That
would limit your hardware development and testing to the extra control
devices you were getting from Radio Shack. Just a thought....

jpq@laue.ms.nwu.edu (John P. Quintana) (03/06/91)

In article <4660006@hpfcdc.HP.COM> kingdom@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Kingdom) writes:
>>Unless this is intended as a learning project, consider using a "toy"
>>personal computer... something like a Commodore Vic 20 would be perfect.
>
>Not only that, but you could pick up an IBM XT motherboard for $30 surplus
>to use as the central processor. Then you could do the development on a
>PC, test it on a PC, etc, then burn a ROM for the $30 mother board. That
>would limit your hardware development and testing to the extra control
>devices you were getting from Radio Shack. Just a thought....

If you decide to go this route, you can even get the listing for a ROM
bios from simtel since you will need to set up the DMA stuff to do memory
refresh.  Many ROM bios's will not work if they do not see a keyboard
attached.

- John

lamb@brahms.udel.edu (Richard E Lamb) (03/07/91)

>If you decide to go this route, you can even get the listing for a ROM
>bios from simtel since you will need to set up the DMA stuff to do memory
>refresh.  Many ROM bios's will not work if they do not see a keyboard
>attached.

	I'd probably just leave the keyboard attached, and try to avoid
BIOS bugs completely...

	Look, guys, all you need here is a parallel port to poll and
something to act as a trigger... this stuff is NOT hard!

	Radio Snack sells a cute litle infrared LED/detector set for $2.
Set up one for each lane (?) and connect them to a parallel port (read the
directions first?), and scan up to eight in a tight loop....

	Set up entrance and exit detectors to get the final speed - just
like the traps at a drag race!

RL