[sci.electronics] 12VDC --> 110VAC ?

lsls00@iliad.kodak.com (Ilia Levi) (03/07/91)

As many of you probably heard, Rochester, NY area had a very bad
ice storm and many houses were left without electrical power for
several days. Does anybody know of any circuits for a 12VDC to 110VAC
converters? If they were published in any magazines?
I am sure that by the time I'll get a reply, the emergency will be over,
but it's always good to be prepared for the next time.

Thanks, Ilia    levi@kodak.com

commgrp@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (BACS Data Communications Group) (03/07/91)

lsls00@iliad.kodak.com (Ilia Levi) writes:

>...Does anybody know of any circuits for a 12VDC to 110VAC
>converters? If they were published in any magazines?
>I am sure that by the time I'll get a reply, the emergency will be over,
>but it's always good to be prepared for the next time.
>
>Thanks, Ilia    levi@kodak.com

See _Radio Electronics_, April 1991, p.43. (I got my subscription copy
2 days ago; should be on newsstands soon.)  This interesting design
has "modified sine-wave" output (actually, 4-step square wave), uses
paralleled power FETs to drive a conventional 12-volt filament
transformer in reverse.  It's regulated by feedback from the output.
It runs at 75 instead of 60 Hz to avoid saturating the transformer;
the frequency won't matter in most applications. It's only 40 watts
but could probably be scaled up by using more FETs and a bigger
transformer.  Most or all of the parts are available from Radio S***.

--

Frank Reid     reid@ucs.indiana.edu

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (03/08/91)

In article <1756@eastman.UUCP> lsls00@iliad.kodak.com (Ilia Levi) writes:
>As many of you probably heard, Rochester, NY area had a very bad
>ice storm and many houses were left without electrical power for
>several days.
> [...]

If you're in an urban area, dismiss it as a fluke. Probably won't happen
again. But if it happens again, race down to your nearest equipment
rental yard !

I live in a rural area, so a generator is the best standby source of
electricity. I got a new 5kW unit for less than $500. I can run my
whole house on it without fussing with extension cords, etc. It is
impossible to buy/construct and operate a battery/inverter system with an
equal rating as a generator, especially if you are without electricity
for several days.