[sci.electronics] 8 Bit Counters

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (03/08/91)

	Can anyone give me manufacture/part numbers for commonly available
	8 bit counters.  I have zillions of four bit counters, but a single
	8 bit IC would be real convenient.  I would prefer an easily available
	part that I could order mail-order from somewhere (know a good place?)

	While we're at it, anyone know of any larger counters available?

							--- Bri

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
 /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"

mark@mips.com (Mark G. Johnson) (03/08/91)

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) writes:

> ... manufacturer/part numbers for commonly available 8 bit counters ?

There's the 74x393.  Connect pin 6 to pin 13 and you're done.  It's made
in TTL, Lowpower Schottky TTL, FAST-TTL, Highspeed CMOS, and Highspeed
CMOS TTL-compatible.  Digi Key lists it as MM74HC393 for $0.60,
as MN74HC393 for $1.50, and CD74HCT393 for $1.10.

There's the 74F269 available from DigiKey.

There's the 74AHCT590 available from DigiKey.  Also the 74HCTLS591.

There's the 74HC4040 ($0.80) and 74HCT4040 ($1.10) which are 12 bit
devices.  Available from DigiKey.

Quoting from the catalog cover, "Easy to remember: 1-800-DIGI-KEY".
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/08/91)

>In article <1991Mar7.211431.9146@m.cs.uiuc.edu> totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) writes:
>
>	Can anyone give me manufacture/part numbers for commonly available
>	8 bit counters.  I have zillions of four bit counters, but a single
>	8 bit IC would be real convenient.  I would prefer an easily available
>	part that I could order mail-order from somewhere (know a good place?)

Do you want Binary or Decade counters ?

For a binary counter you could use the 74393.
For a decade counter you could use the 74390

The drawback of using these counters is that they are not synchronous.
They are ripple counters which makes them pretty useless for high speed
applications. On the 393 you will have to tie pin 6 to pin 13 for an
8 bit counter as it is a DUAL 4 bit counter. On the 390 Decade counter
you would have to AND pin 3 AND 7 tying the ouput of the AND gate to pin
15 for succesive couting of both digits.

>	While we're at it, anyone know of any larger counters available?

Motorola.... 68882  ;-)

--
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,