[sci.electronics] IBM Power Supply - quick question

bcasper@eos.ncsu.edu (BRIAN CASPER) (03/11/91)

I'm building a project and using an old XT power supply for a source.

On P8, I think pin 1 is labeled "Power Good".  What is this for?  Do I need
to loop it back into ground or something to keep the PS from shutting down
or something equally bizzarre?

-Brian

ardai@teda.UUCP (Mike Ardai) (03/11/91)

In article <1991Mar10.173827.1690@ncsu.edu> bcasper@eos.ncsu.edu (BRIAN  CASPER) writes:
-I'm building a project and using an old XT power supply for a source.

-On P8, I think pin 1 is labeled "Power Good".  What is this for?

Power good is a signal generated by the supply that is supposed to tell the
rest of the system that the AC power is present.  This is used to write-protect
the clock and CMOS ram (on AT's) on power failures to prevent spurious
writes.

XT supplies make good supplies for projects, but make sure you have enough
of a load on it or it may shut down.

/mike

--
\|/  Michael L. Ardai   Teradyne EDA East
--- -------------------------------------------------------------------------

grege@gold.gvg.tek.com (Greg Ebert) (03/12/91)

 bcasper@eos.ncsu.edu (BRIAN  CASPER) writes:

>I'm building a project and using an old XT power supply for a source.
>
>On P8, I think pin 1 is labeled "Power Good".  What is this for?  Do I need
>to loop it back into ground or something to keep the PS from shutting down
>or something equally bizzarre?

'Power_good' is just that... It's a TTL-level signal which goes high when the
supply outputs are stabilized. It ties into the CPU reset signal.

Some power supplies require a _minimum_ load before the voltages come up, so
if you measure them unloaded with a meter, you get near-zero readings. I have
seen load resistors which plug into systems without hard disk in order to
satisfy the minimum load requirement of the power supply.