[sci.electronics] future bus, transmission line, simulation

twilson@friar.gandalf.ca (tom wilson) (03/11/91)

-Looking for information regarding computer simulation application
software for modeling and analyzing microstrip lines, by using transmission
line techniques.

-Has anyone used any application programs for this purpose, specifically
Spice or Pspice? If so, could you please send information on models
used, parameters specified, flexibility of package, predictability
reliability of results, etc. Copies of models used and results would be useful.

-We are attempting to simulate a high-speed, Futurbus-type backplane,
and for this reason need a model that would accurately characterize the
backplane in terms of loaded/unloaded impedance and crosstalk. We would
like to be able to specify the physical parameters of the lines (ie.
width, spacing, dielectric, height), and line loading (in terms of distributed
or lumped capacitances, inductance, driver/receiver characteristics.)

Any information available on models, packages or experience in this area
would be appreciated.

--
Tom Wilson, twilson@gandalf.ca, Gandalf Data Ltd, Ottawa Canada, (613) 723-6500

mark@mips.com (Mark G. Johnson) (03/12/91)

In article <1991Mar11.152746.19730@hobbit.gandalf.ca> twilson@friar.gandalf.ca (tom wilson) writes:

   >Looking for information regarding computer simulation application
   >software for modeling and analyzing microstrip lines, by using
   >transmission
   >line techniques.

Richard A. Quinnell, "CAE Tools Help Cure Transmission-Line Woes",
EDN Magazine, March 1, 1991, pp. 47-52.

Discusses the problems and lists 13 commercial products for
that aim to help.
--
 -- Mark Johnson
 	MIPS Computer Systems, 930 E. Arques M/S 2-02, Sunnyvale, CA 94086