[sci.electronics] A question about Nyquist theorm

bittel@zodiac.rutgers.edu (02/20/91)

In article <1991Feb17.115102.15399@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu (Andrew Zimmerman) writes:

>>I think this should be "GREATER than twice the highest frequency
>>component".
>
> Just to nit-pick, it should be "GREATER then twice the bandwidth of the
> signal", not twice the highest frequency.
>
> Andrew
> zimmer@calvin.stanford.edu

I had a professor that loved to explain the sampling theory this way.
It is not correct!!!  What does the bandwidth have to do with it???
Say you have a signal with frequency components from 5000 to 5100 Hz.
The bandwidth is 100 Hz.. Does that mean you can sample at 200 samp/sec and
get the signal??? NO!!

			Fs >= 2fmax

Enough said.

NJIT student who finally passed EE333.

fritz@mit-caf.MIT.EDU (Frederick Herrmann) (02/22/91)

In article <605.27c28109@zodiac.rutgers.edu> bittel@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>I had a professor that loved to explain the sampling theory this way.
>It is not correct!!!  What does the bandwidth have to do with it???
>Say you have a signal with frequency components from 5000 to 5100 Hz.
>The bandwidth is 100 Hz.. Does that mean you can sample at 200 samp/sec and
>get the signal??? NO!!

YES!!  Your professor was right.  You have to sample for all time, of course,
but you can get the signal.

That's why you need anti-alias filters, so you get the band you want.  Without
a filter, all the 100Hz bands you can think of get aliased to the same place.
0-100 Hz, 5-5.1 KHz, 1-1.0000001 GHz.

How do you think digital sampling scopes work?  The HP54501A has a 100 MHz
bandwidth, but samples at only 10 Msamples/sec.  Yes, I know these instruments
do a lot more than simple sampling, but they do acquire signals faster than
their sampling rate.  And they do alias, if you're not careful then
what you see may not be what you got.

>Enough said.

Apparently not, but this thread goes into the kill file real soon now...

				- Frederick P. Herrmann
				  fritz@caf.mit.edu

danr@ais.org (Daniel Romanchik) (02/23/91)

In article <5782@mit-caf.MIT.EDU> fritz@mit-caf.UUCP (Frederick Herrmann) writes:
>In article <605.27c28109@zodiac.rutgers.edu> bittel@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>>I had a professor that loved to explain the sampling theory this way.
>>It is not correct!!!  What does the bandwidth have to do with it???
>>Say you have a signal with frequency components from 5000 to 5100 Hz.
>>The bandwidth is 100 Hz.. Does that mean you can sample at 200 samp/sec and
>>get the signal??? NO!!
>
>YES!!  Your professor was right.  You have to sample for all time, of course,
>but you can get the signal.
>
>That's why you need anti-alias filters, so you get the band you want.  Without
>a filter, all the 100Hz bands you can think of get aliased to the same place.
>0-100 Hz, 5-5.1 KHz, 1-1.0000001 GHz.
>
>How do you think digital sampling scopes work?  The HP54501A has a 100 MHz
>bandwidth, but samples at only 10 Msamples/sec.  Yes, I know these instruments
>do a lot more than simple sampling, but they do acquire signals faster than
>their sampling rate.  And they do alias, if you're not careful then
>what you see may not be what you got.

The Nyquist criteria really only applies to single-shot sampling.

The scope that you mention above can really only measure signals at
100 MHz if they are repetitive signals.  The scope takes a sample or
two on successive cycles, and then recreates the waveform from samples
from many cycles.  This is the reason the sampling rate may be much
less than the analog bandwidth.

The reason DSOs can acquire signals faster than their sampling rate
is that they do a lot more than simple sampling, *and* that there are
restrictions on the signals they can measure.

Have fun,  Dan
           Dan Romanchik              |       writer@irie.ais.org
          Technical Editor            |         CI$: 76236,2372
      Test and Measurement World      |         (313) 930-6564
                      If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

jgk@osc.COM (Joe Keane) (02/27/91)

In article <605.27c28109@zodiac.rutgers.edu> bittel@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>I had a professor that loved to explain the sampling theory this way.
>It is not correct!!!  What does the bandwidth have to do with it???
>Say you have a signal with frequency components from 5000 to 5100 Hz.
>The bandwidth is 100 Hz.. Does that mean you can sample at 200 samp/sec and
>get the signal??? NO!!

Yes, you can.  The signal you mention is close to periodic.  It can be
considered as a 5050 Hz sine wave modulated by some signal with no components
at frequencies greater than 50 Hz.

If you look at a short segment of the waveform, it's going to look like
something between a 5000 Hz sine wave and a 5010 Hz sine wave.  There's no
point in sampling enough to get the shape of the waveform, because we already
know what it's going to look like.  You just need to sample enough to
determine the modulating signal.

Actually there is one frequency (5000 Hz) where we are missing one of the
components, since it is a multiple of the sampling frequency.  As mentioned
before, this is just a problem with the method of sampling.  It can be
eliminated by shifting the signal up or down a bit in frequency, or using
other sampling methods.

This is the reason the sampling scopes mentioned before can work.  If the
shape of a waveform is not changing rapidly, it only takes up a small amount
of bandwidth.  In other words, you don't need much information to describe it.
There are components at the fundamental frequency and harmonics, but they
occupy narrow bands.  The width of the bands is proportional to the speed at
which the waveform is changing.

Luns.Tee@f646.n250.z1.fidonet.org (Luns Tee) (03/02/91)

 b> I had a professor that loved to explain the sampling theory this way.
 b> It is not correct!!!  What does the bandwidth have to do with it???
 b> Say you have a signal with frequency components from 5000 to 5100 Hz.
 b> The bandwidth is 100 Hz.. Does that mean you can sample at 200
 b> samp/sec and
 b> get the signal??? NO!!

   I haven't formally studied any of this stuff, but I'm tempted to agree
that the sampling rate being freater than twice the bandwidth is enough
to capture all information. What you sample may not necessarily be in a
form from which you can reconstruct the original signal easily, but all
th information is there to do so. My original way of thinking was that if
you were to feed your signal through a frequency converter down to DC,
your original bandwidth becomes your highest frequency. Sample this.
Reconstruct it, and frequency convert it back to where it came from and
you have your 5000 to 5100hz signal. You'd need some pretty good
antialiasing however.

   But then again, if you take 200 samples/sec of your 5000 to 5100hz
signal, provided there's nothing outside of that frequency range,
everything in that signal will be intentionally aliased into 0-200 hz,
without any overlapping. All the information is there, just getting it
out is a little difficult.

bobw@col.hp.com (Bob Witte) (03/13/91)

>In article <605.27c28109@zodiac.rutgers.edu> bittel@zodiac.rutgers.edu writes:
>>I had a professor that loved to explain the sampling theory this way.
>>It is not correct!!!  What does the bandwidth have to do with it???
>>Say you have a signal with frequency components from 5000 to 5100 Hz.
>>The bandwidth is 100 Hz.. Does that mean you can sample at 200 samp/sec and
>>get the signal??? NO!!
>
>YES!!  Your professor was right.  You have to sample for all time, of course,
>but you can get the signal.
>
>That's why you need anti-alias filters, so you get the band you want.  Without
>a filter, all the 100Hz bands you can think of get aliased to the same place.
>0-100 Hz, 5-5.1 KHz, 1-1.0000001 GHz.

  I agree with you here.

>How do you think digital sampling scopes work?  The HP54501A has a 100 MHz
>bandwidth, but samples at only 10 Msamples/sec.  Yes, I know these instruments
>do a lot more than simple sampling, but they do acquire signals faster than
>their sampling rate.  And they do alias, if you're not careful then
>what you see may not be what you got.

  I don't agree here, though. Digital scopes often are designed with a
  low sample rate relative to the bandwidth. Such scopes work only on
  repetitive signals, taking advantage of the fact that the scope gets
  several "passes" at the waveform to acquire the entire signal. Keeping
  track of the time between a particular sample and the trigger event
  allows the scope to put together a good reproduction of the waveform.
  In this case, the waveform is definitely not bandlimited to fs/2,
  otherwise you wouldn't get a 100 MHz bandwidth with a 10 MSa/sec
  sample rate.

  This is "undersampling" but is distinctly different than the previous
  case.

Bob Witte              HP Colorado Springs Division
bobw@col.hp.com        P.O. Box 2197
Phone:(719) 590-3230   Colorado Springs, CO  80901
Radio: KB0CY
"Of course, then again, I've been wrong before."