[sci.electronics] 1Mbit DRAM refresh

clldomps@cs.ruu.nl (Louis van Dompselaar) (03/11/91)

Can anyone tell me how the refresh is done on the 1Mbit D-RAM chips?
I saw a small datasheet which only stated which types of refresh
were supported, but it didn't say how to get them working
I'm particularly interested in how to use the built-in refresh counters

Louis
clldomps@praxis.cs.ruu.nl

astevens@acorn.co.uk (Ashley Stevens) (03/13/91)

In article <1991Mar11.123454.22302@cs.ruu.nl> clldomps@cs.ruu.nl (Louis van Dompselaar) writes:

>Can anyone tell me how the refresh is done on the 1Mbit D-RAM chips?
>I saw a small datasheet which only stated which types of refresh
>were supported, but it didn't say how to get them working
>I'm particularly interested in how to use the built-in refresh counters

As you know, refresh is done on a row by a Ras cycle. ie each time ras goes
low, the address on the address inputs is refreshed. This can be as a
refresh cycle only (ras only refresh), or part of another cycle. (eg a read
cycle, write cyles, read-modify-write etc).

However, in addition to this method, there is also cas-before-ras refresh,
that you allude to.

In this mode, an internal counter is used as the row address for a refresh
operation. A cas-before-ras refresh cycle is instigated by taking cas low
before ras (the opposite to a normal cyle). There is then a period where
both are low, and then they go high again, though not necessarily at the
same time. Each time one of these cycles is performed, the row given by
the internal refresh counter is refreshed, and the internal refresh counter
is incremented.

As I'm sure you're aware, there a multitudes of timing restrictions etc, so
you should really get a good data sheet on the device you're using before
trying to do anything with it.

Ashley Stevens                                 astevens@acorn.co.uk
Acorn Computers, 645 Newmarket Rd, Cambridge, UK. Tel.(0223) 214411