[sci.electronics] Active Electronics & Other Mail-Order Companies

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (03/08/91)

	Someone sent me the address/phone number of Active Electronics
	a while back, but I seem to have misplaced it.  Information doesn't
	have an 800 number listed for them.  Anyone have a contact for me
	so I can get a catalog?

	While we are at it, what are good mail-order parts companies
	(primarily digital ICs) that have good selections, prices and little
	or no minimum order size?  I have catalogs from:

		Jameco
		Digi-Key
		JDR Microdevices

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
 /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"

kingdom@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Kingdom) (03/12/91)

> 	While we are at it, what are good mail-order parts companies
> 	(primarily digital ICs) that have good selections, prices and little
> 	or no minimum order size?  I have catalogs from:
>
> 		Jameco
> 		Digi-Key
> 		JDR Microdevices

    Hosfelt electronics
    1-800-524-6464

    All Electronics Corp
    818-904-0524

-- Mike

garyf@wiis.wang.com (Gary Field) (03/12/91)

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) writes:

>	Someone sent me the address/phone number of Active Electronics
>	a while back, but I seem to have misplaced it.  Information doesn't
>	have an 800 number listed for them.  Anyone have a contact for me
>	so I can get a catalog?

>	While we are at it, what are good mail-order parts companies
>	(primarily digital ICs) that have good selections, prices and little
>	or no minimum order size?  I have catalogs from:

>		Jameco
>		Digi-Key
>		JDR Microdevices

Active Electronics:	Chicago, IL (708) 593-6655
Mouser Electronics:	Mansfield, TX (800) 346-6873

/*===========================================================================
|----------------------------------------------------------------------------
|          Anything not worth doing, is not worth doing well.
============================================================================*/

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) (03/14/91)

In article <4660007@hpfcdc.HP.COM> kingdom@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Kingdom) writes:

       All Electronics Corp
       818-904-0524

While we're on the subject, what do people think of All Electronics ?
Are their IC's new ? Grey market ? (if such a thing exists)

I bought some transformers and simple TTL's from them recently.
One of the transformers seemed DOA. The chips seemed to work ok, but
the leads were dull and I was a little suspicious of their origin.

(The other vendors mentioned, Active, JDR and Jameco, I've had uniformly
good experiences with. Active has big markups, but it's local and
has a reasonable inventory, and the staff is professional.)

Regards,

/ Jon Sreekanth

Assabet Valley Microsystems			Fax and PC products
346 Lincoln St #722, Marlboro, MA 01752		508-562-0722
jon_sree@world.std.com

fredm@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Fred Martin) (03/15/91)

In article <JON_SREE.91Mar14091512@world.std.com>,
jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:

>        All Electronics Corp
>        818-904-0524
>
> While we're on the subject, what do people think of All Electronics ?
> Are their IC's new ? Grey market ? (if such a thing exists)
>
> I bought some transformers and simple TTL's from them recently.
> One of the transformers seemed DOA. The chips seemed to work ok, but
> the leads were dull and I was a little suspicious of their origin.

I've never bought ICs from All (because they're prices are a tad high
on ICs), but I consider them an *excellent* supplier of all sorts of
robotics-type stuff--- motors, photocells, connectors, etc.  I am
quite impressed with quality and variety of their surplus inventory.
In general their prices are quite good.

To respond to Jon: All Elex, and probably most surplus dealers, have
old ICs, pullouts or whatever.  Sometimes, this can be a big win: just
a couple months ago, I needed about 75 pieces of an 'HC374.  NOBODY in
retail had it in stock -- I tried Mouser, Active, and several other
dealers.  Finally I called Jameco, and they shipped me the parts in
two days.

Sure, they were 1984 dated-coded, but they worked fine!

	- Fred Martin
	  MIT Media Lab

jfw@ksr.com (John F. Woods) (03/15/91)

jon_sree@world.std.com (Jon Sreekanth) writes:
>In article <4660007@hpfcdc.HP.COM> kingdom@hpfcdc.HP.COM (Mike Kingdom) writes:
>       All Electronics Corp
>       818-904-0524
Also	800-826-5432
>While we're on the subject, what do people think of All Electronics ?
>Are their IC's new ? Grey market ? (if such a thing exists)

Surplus, I think, probably some pulls from equipment.  I like them, but
you have to be ready to put up with surplus parts.  Except for things like
used PC boards that they tell you are busted, they are willing to take back
things that don't work (they even include a note to such effect with every
order they ship (at least every order I've received)).