[sci.electronics] Favorite LCD display?

gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) (03/04/91)

I am going to build an interface to an OEM GPS receiver with RS-232
output.   I would like to use an inexpensive multiline LCD display
to show the status and current position textually (at least at first).
I shouldn't need more than about 16x4 characters.

I have looked through several surplus electronics ads, and I've seen a
few LCD displays, but I'm not sure which to buy.  Some have
controllers, others don't.  Some have graphics, others are
alphanumeric only.  Since I haven't decided on how to implement
anything yet, I'm pretty flexible on the design.  What are your
favorite LCD displays, and how do you interface to them?

How about a favorite CMOS microcontroller with RS-232 input?

Thanks.

--
Rich Gopstein

gopstein@squibb.com
rutgers!squibb.com!gopstein

steveq@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Stephen Quigg) (03/04/91)

In article <1267@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:

>I am going to build an interface to an OEM GPS receiver with RS-232
>output.   I would like to use an inexpensive multiline LCD display
>to show the status and current position textually (at least at first).
>I shouldn't need more than about 16x4 characters.
--- stuff deleted---

>Rich Gopstein

 Most displays in this category (16 chars/1 line to 40 chars/4 line, ) use
the Hitachi HD44780 chip, and so program up the same. They even have the
same 14 pin interface (15 for the 40/4 which has 2 chips and so 2 enables).
So take you pick regarding size, backlighting, price etc. The interface is
8 bit parallel (with a 4 bit mode possible - handy if you have only one 8 bit
port), with a R/W line, Register select, Enable line, Power, Ground and Contrast
You'll need a micro to do the serial to parallel for you: If you use an
8051, drop me a line and I'll post you the software I wrote for one of these
things.

meharp01@ulkyvx.bitnet (03/04/91)

In article <1991Mar4.143802.18640@spool.cs.wisc.edu>, kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) writes:
> In article <1991Mar4.044845.18652@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU> steveq@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Stephen Quigg) writes:
>>In article <1267@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:
>>>
>>>I am going to build an interface to an OEM GPS receiver with RS-232
>>>output.   I would like to use an inexpensive multiline LCD display
>>>to show the status and current position textually (at least at first).
>>>I shouldn't need more than about 16x4 characters.
>>--- stuff deleted---
>>>
>>>Rich Gopstein
>>>
>>You'll need a micro to do the serial to parallel for you: If you use an
>>8051, drop me a line and I'll post you the software I wrote for one of these
>>things.
>
> And if you're still back in the stone ages using 8748/9's (or their EPROMless
> brothers), drop _me_ a line and I'll post what I wrote for one. :-)
>
> (I should note that mine use 4 bit mode... didn't want to give the controller
> any more lines than I had to...)
>
> 						---Joel Kolstad
> 						kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu

Check out TimeLine Electronics or DigiKey.  They sell integrated LCD displays
with the Hitachi chip for about $25.  TimeLine sells surplus 16x1 alphanumeric
displays 3/$25.  A good deal and you don't have to worry about blowing one up.
As far as I can tell, DigiKey and TimeLine sell the same displays, Timeline is
just cheaper and I think the ones they have are surplus.

One thing that I had to deal with: Those displays are SLOW.  It takes anywhere
from 40 uS to 120 uS for a single command to happen.  I was doing a six-digit
clock on one and the timing for it was a bear.  I used a Motorola MC68HC11
controller with one.  Once I got the timing right, it was great!  They are very
high quality displays.  Also, the data sheets are translated from Japanese so
they are very laborious reading.

Good luck and have fun!

Michael Harpe, N4PLE                   | BITNET: MEHARP01@ULKYVX
North Computer Center                  | VOICE:  502-588-6882
University of Louisville               | FAX:    502-588-5048
Louisville, KY  40292                  | AURAL:  "Mike!"

kolstad@jomby.cs.wisc.edu (Joel Kolstad) (03/04/91)

gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) (03/05/91)

In article <1991Mar4.131814.874@ulkyvx.bitnet> meharp01@ulkyvx.bitnet writes:
>Check out TimeLine Electronics or DigiKey.  They sell integrated LCD displays
>with the Hitachi chip for about $25.  TimeLine sells surplus 16x1 alphanumeric
>displays 3/$25.  A good deal and you don't have to worry about blowing one up.
>As far as I can tell, DigiKey and TimeLine sell the same displays, Timeline is
>just cheaper and I think the ones they have are surplus.

Timeline (and Gott Electronics) have a 480x128 dot graphic/alphanumeric
LCD display for about $20.  They both claim that it "comes with built-in
CMOS LCD driver and controller", yet Timeline offers a $60 driver board
for use with it!  What is going on?

Has anyone used a large graphics/alphanumeric LCD display?  I might
want to experiment with graphics once I get the text-only version
working.  Thanks again.

--

rmf@bpdsun1.uucp (Rob Finley) (03/06/91)

In article <1268@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:
>In article <1991Mar4.131814.874@ulkyvx.bitnet> meharp01@ulkyvx.bitnet writes:
>>Check out TimeLine Electronics or DigiKey.  They sell integrated LCD displays
>>with the Hitachi chip for about $25.  TimeLine sells surplus 16x1 alphanumeric
>>displays 3/$25.  A good deal and you don't have to worry about blowing one up.
>>As far as I can tell, DigiKey and TimeLine sell the same displays, Timeline is
>>just cheaper and I think the ones they have are surplus.
>
>Timeline (and Gott Electronics) have a 480x128 dot graphic/alphanumeric
>LCD display for about $20.  They both claim that it "comes with built-in
>CMOS LCD driver and controller", yet Timeline offers a $60 driver board
>for use with it!  What is going on?

rest deleted

I can't find a version of the ad that actually says that.  What I can tell
you is that the display itself does need a controller and that the controller
that they supply is very much worth the $60 bucks.

I thought about hacking one up on maybe a 6845 but found the four serial
inputs (one each for the four quadrants) rather daunting.

The controller board is not made by Hitachi but contains the two controller
IC's and static rams needed to make the thing tick.

I suspect that while they were able to get a large number of display panels
with the rather neat Federal Express packaging and a nondescript board with
three large LED's on it, they had to go to a different company (TEC?)
for the controller board as I imagine FedEx had the brains to incorporate
this function on their motherboard.

For Around $100 it still isn't that bad unless you have the facilities to
design a board and solder a quad flat pack with .7mm pins.  Hmmm?

Now, they have a 640 by 200 LCD for $39.00 that is a Toshiba TLC365121
used in the T1100+ laptop by the same manufacturer.  I think I can find
the chip itself but no controller board (so far).  Any one got any clues?
As far as I can tell, it is a non-backlit supertwist display.  B-)
And, it has four serial inputs also...

Good luck and Try Timeline!
-----
"We know what the reponse of the American people will be, and it's not
attractive.  They really do believe the Bill of Rights gave them unleaded
regular for $1.06 a gallon, and they better get it or, by God, they'll get
the bums out of Office."  -- Energy Secretary James Watkins on taxing energy.

quintro!bpdsun1!rmf@lll-winken.llnl.gov or uunet!tiamat!quintro!bpdsun1!rmf

In article <1267@soleil.UUCP> gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:
>I have looked through several surplus electronics ads, and I've seen a
>few LCD displays, but I'm not sure which to buy.  Some have
>controllers, others don't...

I have not looked closely at current offerings, but a general comment:
you want one with a controller.  Driving many-pixel LCDs is a serious
hassle, and doing it yourself is not going to be worthwhile.

>How about a favorite CMOS microcontroller with RS-232 input?

Well, I don't think you'll find *any* microcontrollers with RS-232 inputs.
(Remember that RS-232 is typically at least +-9V.)  If you're willing to
settle for *serial* inputs -- that is, what you get out of the TTL side
of an RS-232 receiver chip -- most modern microcontrollers have them.
The MC68HC11 is a nice chip in most ways...
--
"But this *is* the simplified version   | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
for the general public."     -S. Harris |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jhumphre@rucs2.sunlab.cs.runet.edu (Jeff Humphrey (Jeffus)) (03/07/91)

>Timeline (and Gott Electronics) have a 480x128 dot graphic/alphanumeric
>LCD display for about $20.  They both claim that it "comes with built-in
>CMOS LCD driver and controller", yet Timeline offers a $60 driver board
>for use with it!  What is going on?

  I bought one of those displays because the ad originally said that the
display could 'display graphics and text'.  Underneath the ad for the
board was an ad for a controller.  The add WAS NOT CLEAR about whether
you needed the controller to display the text or not.  I bought one and
now I have a wonderful display and I'm trying to collect the money to
get the controller.  The display is high quality and I hope the controller
is to.  Let the buyer beware.  I've seen the ad since last summer (when
I wanted my display) and it seems that they are much more clear about
saying 'you need the controller' now.
  Also about those 3/$25 16x1 displays.  Great deal, I was surprised when
I used these for the first time on a project, they have functions I didn't
even hope for.  They are VERY easy to interface to a slower bus, you have
to make a slow bus for yourself (with buffers, etc ...) if you plan to
interface these devices to a faster system.  The display just can't keep
up with the faster bus speeds.  Also, as someone else wrote (sorry), you
have to allow the display time to process commands you send to it by either
putting in a hard wait or reading the displays ready bit.  It's REALLY
slow.

  Has anybody used those $29 dollar (480 x whatever) displays being offered
with the controllers built in ....

                                        ...... Jeffus

bmp@cow.ecs.oz (Bruce Paterson) (03/13/91)

In article <1267@soleil.UUCP>, gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:

> I am going to build an interface to an OEM GPS receiver with RS-232
> output.   I would like to use an inexpensive multiline LCD display

Now this caught my interest ! How much does on OEM GPS receiver cost ??
Where are you buying from...etc (Note I'm in oz) ?
Any engineering samples you no longer require......(Now that's really hopeful)

> to show the status and current position textually (at least at first).
> I shouldn't need more than about 16x4 characters.

Others have answered this in some detail. I'm familier with Sharp and
Vikay modules which all (as has been mentioned) use tthe identical 14 pin
interface. WATCH OUT for the pin numbering however ! The pins nos are
numbered differently between module manufacturers, and not one of them
uses numbers which correspond to normal IDC headers !!

The grahics modules use a different Hitachi Chip (HD61830) which has the same
"Motorola" interface ..... they can even work in alpha mode similar to
the alpha only modules. Vikay also has another grahics module which uses
a different interface chip, and a more Z80 like interface.

You must adhere to the timing diagram for the "Motorola" like interface,
wrt the times b/w signal transitions.

I have heard (ie not experienced 1st hand) that the BUSY flag can be a
dodgy thing to rely upon. Apparently for some commands sometimes the
flag never gets unset. In your code you should either forget the BUSY
flag (which means you probably don't need to ever READ from the thing),
and use a timeout of at least 40uS, or at least have a timeout override
to waiting on BUSY. I don't use the BUSY flag.

There is a special sequence to follow on reset to ensure the module is
in a known state. Only some companies brochures actually mention it. Mail
me if interested.

> How about a favorite CMOS microcontroller with RS-232 input?

I've used Hitachi 64180 (very simple to implement the I/F with this
one due to E clock signal), Z80, Motorola 68HC05C8 and 8051 family
uP to talk to these. I currently use 'C' code for the interface.

	Good Luck
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Rich Gopstein
>
> gopstein@squibb.com
> rutgers!squibb.com!gopstein

--
|    /~~~~\     Bruce Paterson       VK3TJN      Company: Email Electonics     |
|   /     |         Electronics Engineer         ACSnet:  bmp@cow.ecs.oz       |

wood@drift.dec.com (John F. Wood) (03/13/91)

In article <548@cow.ecs.oz>, bmp@cow.ecs.oz (Bruce Paterson) writes...
>There is a special sequence to follow on reset to ensure the module is
>in a known state. Only some companies brochures actually mention it. Mail
>me if interested.

I tried sending mail, but can't reach you at your listed address.  Please
either mail or post this information.

Thanks,

John
John F. Wood                  | EIS Engineering
Digital Equipment Corporation | ARPAnet: wood@drift.enet.dec.com
Continental Blvd.             | EASYnet: DRIFT::WOOD
MKO2-1/J12                    | Usenet : ...!decwrl!drift.enet!wood
Merrimack, NH  03054          | AT&T   : (603) 884-4686
Disclaimer: Views expressed herein are my own and do not necessarily
            reflect those of my employer.

gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) (03/15/91)

In article <548@cow.ecs.oz> bmp@cow.ecs.oz (Bruce Paterson) writes:
>In article <1267@soleil.UUCP>, gopstein@helix.squibb.com (Rich Gopstein) writes:
>>
>> I am going to build an interface to an OEM GPS receiver with RS-232
>> output.   I would like to use an inexpensive multiline LCD display
>
>Now this caught my interest ! How much does on OEM GPS receiver cost ??
>Where are you buying from...etc (Note I'm in oz) ?
>Any engineering samples you no longer require......(Now that's really hopeful)

Sorry, there won't be any extra engineering samples... I'm buying this for
personal use (ie. playing around with).  The manufacturer is:

Magellan Systems Corp.
260 E. Huntington Dr.
Monrovia, CA 91016.
1-818-358-2363.

The receiver costs about US$750, the antenna, P/S, and assorted other
hardware costs about $150.  It's a "fast scanning single-channel"
receiver, which I gather is less accurate than a multi-channel
receiver, but, for the price, you really can't complain.  They claim
about 30m accuracy when in 3-d mode.  I can live with that.

Magellan will send you (for free) a set of three technical guides
which describe the receiver pretty well.  If you have any specific
questions about it, just send me mail (or post).