[sci.electronics] Sams Photofacts

irwin@uiucdcsb.cs.uiuc.edu (01/07/88)

Bob, I was faced with the same situation recently, I went to the
"friendly parts house" where I used to purchase them. The first
person at the counter that I spoke with said "Sams, what's that?"

Another one said, I know what they are, but we do not stock them
anymore. I asked, what is my alternative? Counter person, "go to
the local library and check it out, like a book". I called the
local library and sure enough, they have them. I checked out the
one I needed, made a photocopy and returned it to them. (I would
say that Sams is loosing mucho bucks in this manner)

I assume that the real problem is the manner in which TV shops
service TVs anymore. They used to keep a complete set of Sams,
purchased through the parts house, and also got their parts there.
Now, sets are not fixed in the same fashion, they "trade boards"
and send them to a depot to be repaired/recycled back into their
spare stock, do not buy Sams or parts locally, so the parts house
is no longer stock TV parts or Sams. They instead stock for the
personal computer and home telephone world.

If you do not find a library with one, Howard W. Sams publishes
lots of books, I would assume you could locate one, get their
address and phone them to see if you can buy one direct, or, have
them list a distributor from whom you could purchase one (they
must have some idea who they sell them to for that purpose).

corbin@maxzilla.Encore.COM (Stephen Corbin) (03/06/91)

Does anyone know if Sams Photofacts is still in existence?  If so I would
appreciate an address or phone number to contact them.

My daughter has a Yorx stereo and it died this past week.  Without a
schematic I can't tell what exactly is wrong.  I was poking around with
a meter and it appears that the regulator/input power stage is fried.
Two of the components affected are:

	Mitsubishi C1317 (to-92 package)
	Mitsubishi B986 (plastic pack with heat sink hole in it)

Any help in identifying these components and/or other manufacturer's
substitutes would be a great help.  Also if anyone could help me locate
a schematic for this unit that would be even better.  The unit is a
Yorx New Wave Dual Cassette.  The main PC board is marked:

		HCT-40E8     94V-0

Thanks for any info,

Stephen Corbin
{bu-cs,decvax,necntc,talcott}!encore!corbin             corbin@encore.COM

wdp@dukee.egr.duke.edu (William D. Palmer) (03/06/91)

Howard W. Sams and Co. of Indiana sell their Photofacts directly via this
number:

          (800) 428-7267

You might also try your local TV repair shop.

Dev Palmer
wdp@dukee.egr.duke.edu
Duke Electrical Engineering
Room 309 Old Engineering Bldg.
Durham, NC  27706
(919) 660-5282

rmrin@cbnewsk.att.com (r.m.rickert) (03/07/91)

In article <14222@encore.Encore.COM> corbin@maxzilla.UUCP (Stephen Corbin) writes:

>Does anyone know if Sams Photofacts is still in existence?  If so I would
>appreciate an address or phone number to contact them.

Try (317) 298-5560 - Service Documentation Sales or
(317)  298-5400 - General Information
--

Dick Rickert  AT&T Consumer Products Laboratory

wrf@mab.ecse.rpi.edu (Wm Randolph Franklin) (03/16/91)

In article <14222@encore.Encore.COM> corbin@maxzilla.UUCP (Stephen Corbin) writes:

>Does anyone know if Sams Photofacts is still in existence?  If so I would
>appreciate an address or phone number to contact them.

The Boston Public Library has them behind the  reference desk.  You have
to sign out the individual schematic, which prevents thefts.  I  found a
schematic for a small Sony TV there after failing  at 2 other libraries,
from whence it had been stolen.

One problem with Sam's is that if you want to buy a  schematic, and it's
out of print, they charge an exorbitant price to sell you a xerox.  They
apparently don't think of making several copies at a time and saving the
others for future sales.

--
						   Wm. Randolph Franklin
Internet: wrf@ecse.rpi.edu (or @cs.rpi.edu)    Bitnet: Wrfrankl@Rpitsmts