[sci.electronics] fuse wire

In article <14730@mcdphx.phx.mcd.mot.com> hbg6@citek.mcdphx.mot.com writes:
>I am restoring an old car which has several 'fusable link' wire
>runs. They are all in pretty bad condition and need to be replaced.
>Is there any reason NOT to replace them with standard wire and
>in line fuse holders?

	Depending upon the particular circuit design criteria, a fusible
link may have been selected because it has current-time characteristics
which are different from that of any standard fuse.  Most likely a fusible
link would be more "forgiving" and permit overcurrent transients to exist
for a longer time period than a regular slow-blow fuse before the circuit
would be opened.  Also, the fusible link may provide a greater current
rating that a regular fuse (i.e., the largest value SFE-type automotive
fuse is 30 amperes, whereas some fusible links are rated for 60 amperes).

	Other reasons for a fusible link in an engine compartment are:
(1) lower cost than a regular fuse; (2) greater tolerance to vibration
and heat than a regular fuse; and (3) less susceptibility to effects of
corrosion than a regular fuse in a fuse holder.

	In order to properly assess the situation, you should obtain a
copy of the service manual for the vehicle to ascertain if there is an
ampere rating or other data on the fusible link.

	Also, in many instances a fusible link is not manufactured from
any special alloy, but is simply a length of wire in a smaller gauge than
the load circuit wiring that it is protecting.  I believe that this may
be the SAE definition of a fusible link, but I can't speak with certainty
since it has been a long time since my nose has been in the SAE Handbook.

Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp.  "Have you hugged your cat today?"
VOICE: 716/688-1231       {boulder, rutgers, watmath}!ub!kitty!larry
FAX:   716/741-9635   [note: ub=acsu.buffalo.edu] uunet!/      \aerion!larry