[sci.electronics] Graphing Calcuator recommendations?

3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) (03/18/91)

Hi, my son is going to take an Algebra II class and the teacher says that a
graphing calcuator is required for the class. I am looking for recommendations
/good buys on a calc. I have heard a lot of good things about the Hewlett Packa
rd. I'd like to spend under $80 new/used. Thanks...
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
::Sari Khoury               Art Department             ::
::3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET      Central Michigan University::
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
"Our true nationality is mankind." -- H.G. Wells.

rouben@math13.math.umbc.edu (Rouben Rostamian) (03/18/91)

In article <91076.1521423XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> 3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) writes:
>Hi, my son is going to take an Algebra II class and the teacher says that a
>graphing calcuator is required for the class. I am looking for recommendations
>/good buys on a calc. I have heard a lot of good things about the Hewlett Packa
>rd. I'd like to spend under $80 new/used. Thanks...

Well, I don't think that you can get a graphing HP (new or used) for under
$80.  But then, an HP may not necessarily be the best tool for your son.  I
own an HP48sx calculator (retail price ~$250) and a Texas Instruments TI-81
calculator (retail price ~$80.)  Both are programmable and both have graphics
displays.  I prefer the HP calculator by far.  For a high school student
(which I assume your son is) I would recommend the TI-81.  For college
students, especially those majoring in enginnering, I would recommend the
HP48sx (or at least its predecessor, the HP28s.)  If you are not familiar with
the TI-81 and the HP48, the following analogy may help you in making your
decision:

The TI-81 to HP48sx is like a simple instamatic camera to a full-fledged 35mm
Nikon.  Now, would you buy a Nikon camera for your son?

--
Rouben Rostamian                          Telephone: (301) 455-2458
Department of Mathematics and Statistics  e-mail:

ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu (Mike "IR" Ressler) (03/18/91)

In article <5441@umbc3.UMBC.EDU> rouben@math13.math.umbc.edu.UUCP (Rouben Rostamian) writes:
>In article <91076.1521423XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET> 3XMQGAA@CMUVM.BITNET (Sari Khoury) writes:
>>Hi, my son is going to take an Algebra II class and the teacher says that a
>>graphing calcuator is required for the class. I am looking for recommendations
>>/good buys on a calc.
>
>Well, I don't think that you can get a graphing HP (new or used) for under
>$80.  But then, an HP may not necessarily be the best tool for your son.  I
>own an HP48sx calculator (retail price ~$250) and a Texas Instruments TI-81
>calculator (retail price ~$80.)  Both are programmable and both have graphics
>displays.  I prefer the HP calculator by far.  For a high school student
>(which I assume your son is) I would recommend the TI-81.  For college
>students, especially those majoring in enginnering, I would recommend the
>HP48sx (or at least its predecessor, the HP28s.)

Don't forget the Casio FX-7000G. It's got a 94x62 display and can be had for
about $70-80. I've had one for over three years now - it's been dropped a few
times, survived a dozen trips to the summit of Mauna Kea (14,000 ft), and
travelled from Hawaii to the East and West coasts many times, and it's still
going strong. Granted, it's no HP or TI, but it's easy to use and it has
enough stuff in it to handle some serious calculating. I highly recommend it
for a "beginner's" graphics calculator. In fact, I highly recommend it for
anyone who wants a reasonable graphics display as long as they don't need
kilobytes of programming ability.
--
  Mike Ressler - Infrared Photon Jockey     ressler@galileo.ifa.hawaii.edu

  If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger sledgehammer.

ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (03/18/91)

As long as the topic of such calculators has come up, what kind of chips and
other devices are in it and what is burned into their ROMS (if they have ROM)?
Where might one find a design of such a device and the parts for building
one's own ? And why is it possible to make them so small ?

Even if we buy black boxes and use them in education and research, we don't
lose the right to ask what is in the box and how and why it works.

Allan Adler
ghot@ms.uky.edu

iceflow@hpuxa.acs.ohio-state.edu (William A. Jones) (03/18/91)

As a college instructor who uses a graphing calculator to teach algebra
and precalculus classes, I would have to recommend buying the TI-81.  It
is what we at Columbus State Community College use, it is slightly more
expensive than the Casios but it is far easier to learn to use (my
opinion and my students).  It also has enough capability that you won't
be shelling out for another calculator any time soon.

Bill Jones
bjones@geo1s.mps.ohio-state.edu

asmith@acorn.co.uk (Andy Smith) (03/19/91)

I used to have a Casio FX-8000G and a Casio FX 5000F, which got a lot of
use, then I had a play with a friends HP... I now have an HP-28S (the 48SX
wasn't available then) and have yet to find fault with it, though I still
havn't found all of its functions :-) One thing I will say, I like the
HP-28s case better than the HP48sx, it appears pretty robust (I carry mine
in a tool kit) and as there are more keys they are nowhere near as cluttered
as the 48sx.

If I were you, I would invest that little bit extra now and get an HP that
will last a life time, rather than get a casio now then get an HP later. I
doubt there will be a replacement for the 48sx for a few years, and even the
28s leaves most calculators for dead, when it comes to ease of use and
functionality. For instance if you compare the graph functions on the HP
with the Casio, you will find the Casio very limited.

I would suggest you visit a good calc dealer and have a play with the HP-28s
and the Casio 8000G. But bear in mind that the HP uses reverse polish
notation, unless you tell it otherwise.

By the way, I once had a TI-99, it was very slow and very tacky.

Andy