[sci.electronics] SPICE ? Public Domain Version anywhere?

CJW106@psuvm.psu.edu (That Mean Guy Chas) (02/20/91)

Can someone direct me to a PD version of SPICE on the Internet
(if one exists.)  C or FORTRAN is fine w/ me.

thanks

--chas iii

charles j williams iii  %%  cjw106@psuvm.psu.edu %% "Power corrupts, but we
Electrical Engineer     %%  chas@cs.psu.edu      %%   need electricity."
Disclaimer: The information presented herein represents the opinion of the
            author, not the policies of the Pennsylvania State University.

dimitrov@lab.ultra.nyu.edu (Isaac Dimitrovsky) (02/21/91)

[]
>Can someone direct me to a PD version of SPICE on the Internet ...

Please send me this information as well, or post it.

Isaac Dimitrovsky

spice@Berkeley.EDU (Spice @ UC Berkeley) (02/21/91)

			Spice3 Availability

What is Spice?

	SPICE is a general purpose circuit  simulator  with  several
	built-in   semiconductor   device  models.   SPICE  performs
	several analyses, including nonlinear  dc,  nonlinear
	transient, and linear ac analysis.  Device types include
	resistors, capacitors,  inductors,  mutual  inductors,
	switches, linear and nonlinear sources, BJTs, JFETs, GaAs
	MESFETS, and MOSFETs.  SPICE was developed by the CAD Group of
	the EECS Department at the University of California.

	Please note that Spice is _not_ public domain software.

	The current version of Spice is 3d2 and is written entirely
	in C.  (Version 2g6, the last FORTRAN version, is still available).
	The distribution is in source form only; $250 covers the materials
	and handling fee.

	Spice was originally written at the University of California, Berkeley.
	Commercial derivatives of Spice also exist.

Supported Systems

	Spice3d2 has been compiled on a variety of UNIX systems and under
	MS-DOS.  Although previous releases have also been compiled under
	VMS (from DEC) and CMS (from IBM), neither system was available
	for testing at the time of this release.  UNIX varieties that
	have been tested include:
		Ultrix 4.0, VAX and MIPS
		SunOs 4.0, Sun4/SPARC
		HP-UX 7.0, 68k
		AIX 3.1, RS6000
		IRIX System V, Rel 3.2, SGI personal IRIS
	The MS-DOS version was compiled with Microsoft C v5.1 on an IBM-PC/AT

	Plots can be displayed via a terminal independent graphics interface
	(supplied with Spice3), an X11 interface (R4, R3 compatible),
	or Spice2-like line-printer output.

New features in Spice 3d2 (since version 3c1):

	(Note that the last publicly released version of Spice was 3c1;
	version 3d1 was an internal release only).

	* Distortion analysis
	* Noise analysis
	* Improved Pole-Zero analysis

	* A new BSIM MOS model
	* A new analytic MOS model

	* Numerous bug fixes

Ordering Information

	All orders for Spice3 must include agreement/assurance letters.
	Please request "forms for ordering Spice3" from:

		Cindy Manly-Fields <cindy@janus.berkeley.edu>

	(please include your physical mail address) or (via physical mail):

		Cindy Manly-Fields
		Software Distribution Office
		479 Cory Hall
		University of California at Berkeley
		Berkeley, CA  94720

	There are additional complications ordering from outside the U.S.
	or Canada; details are available from the above addresses.

Distribution Media:

	9-track, 1600 BPI; 600-ft. magnetic tape
	3.5" DS/HD diskette (5 diskettes)
	3.5" DS/DD diskette (10 diskettes)

Documentation:

	Installation Notes.  Available separately for $1.00.
	Spice3D.2 User's Manual.   Available separately for $3.00.

	Analysis of Performance and Convergence Issues for
		Circuit Simulation (UCB/ERL M89/42, April 1989).
		Available separately for $7.50.
	Benchmark Circuits: Results for SPICE3 (UCB/ERL M89/47,
		April 1989).  Available separately for $5.00.

	Adding Devices to SPICE3 (UCB/ERL M89/45, April 1989).
		Available separately for $2.50.
	The Front End to Simulator Interface (UCB/ERL M89/43,
		April 1989).  Available separately for $2.50.
	SPICE3 Implementation Guide (UCB/ERL M89/44, April 1989).
		Available separately for $7.50.
	Nutmeg Implementation Guide (formerly SPICE3C.1 Nutmeg Programmer's
		Guide).  Available separately for $2.50.

FTP access

	Anonymous ftp access to spice is not available due to Federal
	export restrictions on CAD software.  Any access via anonymous
	ftp in the past to Spice was an oversight.

Further Questions

	If you have further questions about Spice, e-mail to:
		spice@berkeley.edu
		ucbvax!spice

csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk (C.M. Yearsley) (02/27/91)

The only freely-availably version of SPICE I know if is version 2G5
for the Atari ST. It's the full version in all its Fortran glory,
with documentation and a couple of examples. It needs 1MB, but doesn't
need a hard disc, and is ftp-able as

atari.archive.umich.edu             atari/applications/spice.lzh

To answer anyone who thinks it shouldn't be there here's a message that
came with it:

C     SPICE IS AN ELECTRONIC CIRCUIT SIMULATION PROGRAM THAT WAS DEVE-
C LOPED BY THE INTEGRATED CIRCUITS GROUP OF THE ELECTRONICS RESEARCH
C LABORATORY AND THE DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING AND COMPUTER
C SCIENCES AT THE UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA.  THE
C PROGRAM SPICE IS AVAILABLE FREE OF CHARGE TO ANY INTERESTED PARTY.
C THE SALE, RESALE, OR USE OF THIS PROGRAM FOR PROFIT WITHOUT THE
C EXPRESS WRITTEN CONSENT OF THE DEPARTMENT OF ELECTRICAL ENGINEERING
C AND COMPUTER SCIENCES, UNIVERSITY OF CALIFORNIA, BERKELEY, CALIFORNIA,
C IS FORBIDDEN.
--
Chris Yearsley                                JANET:  csx18@uk.ac.keele.seq1
                                              USENET: csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/02/91)

>In article <909@keele.keele.ac.uk> csx18@seq1.keele.ac.uk (C.M. Yearsley) writes:
>
>The only freely-availably version of SPICE I know if is version 2G5
>for the Atari ST. It's the full version in all its Fortran glory,
>with documentation and a couple of examples. It needs 1MB, but doesn't
>need a hard disc, and is ftp-able as

There is also a PD version available on the Amiga (Ain't the 68000 Wonderful)
It's in the "Fred Fish" collection of Public Domain programs on disk # 278

To obtain your copy send 6.00 US to:

Fred Fish
Amiga Library Disks
1835 East Belmont Drive
Tempe, Arizona 85284
USA

ASpice	    A version of the SPICE 2G.6 circuit analysis program
	    which has been modified to run in the Amiga environment.
	    The program arrays are adjusted to require one tenth the
	    memory of the DEC VAX version.  Although this does not
	    usually put much of a constraint on circuit analysis,
	    some users who are used to the full mainframe environment
	    may have to be more aware of the memory demands of their
	    analysis.  Requires a minimum  of 1 MB memory.  This
	    version neither supports nor requires the 68020 processor
	    or 68881 coprocessor.  This is Amiga version 5.1, an update
	    to version 2.3 on disk 177.  Binary only.
	    Authors:  Many, see Documentation.	Amiga port by Dan Warns.

--
 (ames att sun)!pacbell! ----> sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk     Multitasking,

chergr@lure.latrobe.edu.au (03/21/91)

I caught the tail-end of a discussion about an ftp-able version
of SPICE for the Atari. Could someone repeat that ftp address please.
Many thanks.