[sci.electronics] FM transmitter/receiver chips

tomv@s1.msi.umn.edu (Tom Varghese) (03/14/91)

I am looking for an simple, cheap FM transmitter/receiver circuits to use
as a medium for digital data transmision over a short range (~100 yards)....
I was wondering if there are any single chip solutions for this.

kellym@ether.UUCP (Kelly M McArthur) (03/20/91)

In article ... tomv@s1.msi.umn.edu (Tom Varghese) writes:

>I am looking for an simple, cheap FM transmitter/receiver circuits to use
>as a medium for digital data transmision over a short range (~100 yards)....
>I was wondering if there are any single chip solutions for this.

Motorola's MC2833 might be useful to you.  It is a single-chip FM transmitter
with an audio input you could use for FSK, and a built-in
microphone preamp you can loop back into the audio input.  In addition,
if you call the Motorola folks in Phoenix, they'll cheerfully send you a
little evaluation PCB you build up a test circuit on (or at least they did
for me). The part is found in the "Linear and Interface Integrated Circuits"
book.

The data book lists values of caps and coils to operate this
device at 49.7 MHz, 76 MHz and 144.6 MHz  (note that values for operation
at ~100 MHz are conspicuously absent :~)  ).  Power output is listed as
+5 or +10 db. (BTW, how do you relate this to something like milliwatts,
for those of us who don't speak RF-ese?).

					Have Fun,
*	Kelly McArthur		..tektronix!sequent!ether!kellym   *
*	HALF Associates		(Heavily Armed Lunatic Fringe)     *

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (03/22/91)

kellym@ether.UUCP (Kelly M McArthur) writes:
>at ~100 MHz are conspicuously absent :~)  ).  Power output is listed as
>+5 or +10 db. (BTW, how do you relate this to something like milliwatts,
>for those of us who don't speak RF-ese?).

Normally they would be listed as such-and-such dBm, which means dB
relative to 1.0 mW.  So +10dBm is 10 milliwatts.  Sometimes they
shorten it, get lazy, and just say, "dB."  If it's RF and they
don't list any other reference, it's _probably_ dBm.

       -90dBm    1 picowatt        You can cover quite a range in
       -60dBm    1 nanowatt        dB from -99 to +99 !
       -50dBm   10 nanowatts       (though radio receivers are
       -40dBm  100 nanowatts       commonly sensitive to well
       -30dBm    1 microwatt       below -90dBm -- but can't handle
       -20dBm   10 microwatts      +90dBm ;-)
       -10dBm  100 microwatts
         0dBm    1 milliwatt
       +30dBm    1 watt
       +60dBm    1 kilowatt
       +90dBm    1 megawatt

Other segments of the industry use other references; dbV is db referenced to
one volt, and some folk make extensive use of dBfs (dB relative to some
full scale reading) or dBc (dB relative to a carrier signal).