[sci.electronics] Solar Electric Panels and Puget Sound Weather

rburgess@milton.u.washington.edu (Rick Burgess) (03/23/91)

Evidence I've dug up and gotten from people so far seems to indicate that
Solar generation of electricity is NOT reasonable and economical for home
use for most people living in most situations in the Pacific Northwest, or
at least in the Seattle/Puget Sound area.  This is not to say it isn't a
perfectly good backup system, but rather, to depend on it for all your
electricity all the time would require far too much money to make sure you
had enough on those cloudiest of days/weeks/months.

Is there anyone out there who is not just a salesperson who actually really
knows from experience and quantitative aptitude enough to corroborate or
contradict my above expectation?

Xenonex Whitenack

bc338569@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Brian Catlin) (03/23/91)

In article <18906@milton.u.washington.edu> rburgess@milton.u.washington.edu (Rick Burgess) writes:
>This is not to say it isn't a
>perfectly good backup system, but rather, to depend on it for all your
>electricity all the time would require far too much money to make sure you
>had enough on those cloudiest of days/weeks/months.

On a similar note, what does a small (30-40 Amp) system cost if it were to
be used ONLY for backup.  We run a small greenhouse that MUST have power
all of the time and this sounds like a good system to use for power
outages.  It must be able to run several AC Motors (for heaters and blowers).
Also, does anyone have the address of a good company that sells these?

Thanks for any help,

B. J. Catlin

 *     Brian J. Catlin            Electrical Engineering    *
  *    e-mail : bc338569@longs.lance.colostate.edu           *
   *   Compuserve : 73540,17                                  *
    *  Here's a battery and a wire--go light up the world!     *
     *                                    -Mom and Dad          *