[sci.electronics] >>> WANTED: Rural Mailbox TELEMETRY SYSTEM

v056pxb4@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (John P Weiksnar) (03/19/91)

	This is what I would like:

		recommendations
		experience
		brand names
		magazine articles

		or any ideas regarding a rural, side-of-the-road
	mailbox (you know the kind)   to   100-meter-away-house
			TELEMETRY  SYSTEM
	to alert anxious parents when the letter carrier
	pushes down the little red flag to announce the mail is IN.

	Whew!

	In other words, is there an easy, cheap ( < $100) system
	to handle this? Solar-recharge on the mailbox transmitter
	would be a convenient feature, along with a fairly reliable
	FM transmission frequency to avert middle-of-the-night false
	alarms.

	Thanks!

	-------------------------------------
	John P. Weiksnar  v056pxb4@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu

erk@americ.UUCP (Erick Parsons) (03/24/91)

>In article <66127@eerie.acsu.Buffalo.EDU> v056pxb4@ubvmsa.cc.buffalo.edu (John P Weiksnar) writes:
>
>	This is what I would like:
>
>		recommendations
>		experience
>		brand names
>		magazine articles
>
>		or any ideas regarding a rural, side-of-the-road
>	mailbox (you know the kind)   to   100-meter-away-house
>			TELEMETRY  SYSTEM
>	to alert anxious parents when the letter carrier
>	pushes down the little red flag to announce the mail is IN.
>
>	Whew!
>
>	In other words, is there an easy, cheap ( < $100) system
>	to handle this? Solar-recharge on the mailbox transmitter
>	would be a convenient feature, along with a fairly reliable
>	FM transmission frequency to avert middle-of-the-night false
>	alarms.
---------------

	I'm not sure of the price for one but there are many car
	alarms that have a remote reciever to alert the owner to
	a possible break-in. This would be an easy solution as it
	is low voltage and probably low current without the use of
	a speaker. (but a speaker could be fun :-)

	Interesting sidenote about car alarms. THEY ARE USELESS !!
	I was riding with a friend whose little car alarm DE activator
	key ring thingamajig died. We drove out of a busy parking lot
	with the alarm BLARING. No one even winced.

--
Erick Parsons, Sacramento  erick@sactoh0.sac.ca.us <-- Right off the freeway  --
{ames att sun }!pacbell!sactoh0!pacengr!americ!erk <-- At the end of the road --