[sci.electronics] cheap text-to-speech board

fredm@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU (Fred Martin) (03/22/91)

In article <C-1-JW#@irie.ais.org>, danr@ais.org (Daniel Romanchik) writes:
> Anyone know where I can find a stand-alone voice synthesizer?
>
> I think that there used to be a company called Votrax that made
> something like this, but I can't find their address or phone number.

Something similar is presently available from "B.G. Micro", a surplus
company:

B.G. Micro / PO Box 280298 / Dallas, TX 75228 / (214) 271-5546

"PC/XT COMPATIBLE TEXT TO SPEECH BOARD"  $69.95

A very powerful and amazing speech card, uses the new [sic] General
Instruments SPO256-AL2 speech chip and the CTS256A-AL2 text to speech
converter.

This board uses one slot on the motherboard and requires a COM serial
port.  Board may also be used in a stand alone environment (external
power supply necessary) with almost any computer that has an RS232
serial port.  To use the board it is only necessary to send English
text to the RS232 input on the board.  The board includes a 1500 byte
text buffer and handshake line to allow you to send data to the board
the same as you would send data to an RS232 serial printer.  You can
set up batch files that will make your computer greet you with a
``Good Morning Master,'' etc., every time you turn it on.

Demonstration software and a library building program are included on
a 5.25" PC/XT diskette.  Full documentation and schematics are also
included.

For information on a low cost speech synthesizer system for the
visually impaired, please send for free packet TM-1.

Also available:  Stand alone power supply for above board, $19.99 +
$2.50 shipping and handling.

Terms:  add $3.25 postage; orders over $50 add 85 cents insurance;
Texas residents add 8.25% tax.

I've used the GI chip set before... it's pretty marginal quality, but
definitely intelligible, and very easy to use.  The English
text-to-allophone chip is a very cool idea, and it does actually work.

If anybody buys one of these, post to the net and let us know how it
works!

	- Fred Martin

Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with BG Micro.  This is not a
commercial post.  I posted ordering information for your convenience
only.

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) (03/24/91)

In article <C-1-JW#@irie.ais.org>, danr@ais.org (Daniel Romanchik) writes:
> Anyone know where I can find a stand-alone voice synthesizer?

Try RC Systems at (206) 672-6909 (Phone/Fax).  They make a
text-to-speech board that is "Less than $100 in OEM quantities".
I've heard it over the phone and the quality is very good
(especially compared to the GI allophone chips).  They basically did
an A-D storage of all phonemes and stored it on an on-board EPROM.
Not as easy as it sounds, because according to the guy I talked to,
they spent years perfecting the phonemes and code (interpolation algorithms
etc).

Anyway, call them and ask for a demo over the phone.

  Who:  Greg Bell                            Address:  gbell@ucsd
 What:  EE hobbyist and major                  Where:  UC San Diego