[sci.electronics] PUFF

ferguson@maitai.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dennis Ferguson) (03/25/91)

In article mumble mumble klotz@forty2.physik.unizh.ch (Hans Klotz) writes:
>In the last issue of the journal "UKW-Berichte" i.e. "VHF-Communications",
>there was a report about a program called PUFF to compute resonances,
>inpedances etc. of micro-strips. It is running of IBM - PCs or equiv. and is
>available from Cal-Tech. Unfortunately it is not mentioned, whether this
>distribution includes the sources or the binaries only. (I'm not using the
>aforementioned type of computer.) Thus my questions:
>
>1. Are the sources of the program PUFF available?
>2. As I got the impression that it is shareware, is there a site to down-load
>   it?

PUFF was written by David Rutledge and Richard Compton of Cal Tech.  The program
is distributed in binary and is in the public domain (it is not shareware).
However, the source is not distributed.  An 80X87 is required to execute the
program which was written in TurboPascal.  Puff is primarily a teaching tool
as opposed to a CAE program like Touchstone or SuperCompact.

I'm not sure where you can download it.  I would try one of the Cal Tech
systems.  According to the manual, they suggest you report any bugs or
problems to:  Professor Richard Compton
              Dept of Electrical Engineering
              Cornell University
              Ithaca, NY  14853