[sci.electronics] Data xfer UNDERWATER !

jws@cica4.mlb.semi.harris.com (James W. Swonger) (03/22/91)

Ultrasonic FM?

dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (dale chayes) (03/23/91)

In article <430.27e07fdb@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk>,
	robw@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:

> I need to transmit some data between two systems about 10 feet apart
> without being physically connected.
> They will not always be line-of-sight, and they may be UNDERWATER !

Well, your' in luck. The January 91 issue of the IEEE journal of
Oceanic Engineering was a special issue on ocean acoustic data
telemetry (Volume 16, Number 1  ISSN 0364-9059)

As with all telemetry system designs, one of the first questions you
have to answer is; how much data, how often.  IE: what throughput do
you need to get the job done?

Have fun,
Dale

--
Dale Chayes Lamont-Doherty Geological Observatory of Columbia University
Route 9W, Palisades, N.Y.  10964	dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (I want to be eating rich soup in another town) (03/23/91)

In article <430.27e07fdb@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk> robw@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:
->I need to transmit some data between two systems about 10 feet apart
->without being physically connected.
->They will not always be line-of-sight, and they may be UNDERWATER !

How about something like sonar, i.e. use sound?  I don't know what the
propagation delay would be, and what kind of data rates you would get.  Or
how about low-power FM?  Or, magnetic induction - you should be able to get
10 feet or so out of a system like that.

mike
--
Won't look like rain,           Won't look like snow,            | DOD #000007
Won't look like fog,            That's all we know!              | AMA #511250

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (03/23/91)

In article <430.27e07fdb@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk> robw@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:
>I need to transmit some data between two systems about 10 feet apart
>without being physically connected.
>They will not always be line-of-sight, and they may be UNDERWATER !

>Any suggestions ?

	Well, electric current is out (no wires) and light might not
travel well if one is above water and the other below.  Sound seems
like your best bet (ground conduction will ALWAYS work, won't it?).
Think in terms of a 110 baud modem (and you'll want some resonant
gizmo to couple the sound to the ground; a tuned dashpot should do).
Seismologists routinely pick up unintended noises (traffic, wind
blowing the trees, etc), so a narrow-band ground-vibration gizmo
should be able to be sensed at far more than 10 feet.
	You don't say if the water is salt or not; if it's
fresh, the little 49 MHz remote-control circuits should be able to punch
through a ten foot separation.  If it's salt, you'll need to
ask someone more knowledgable than I about the attenuation versus
frequency.

	John Whitmore

don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (Don Stokes) (03/23/91)

robw@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:

> I need to transmit some data between two systems about 10 feet apart
> without being physically connected.
> They will not always be line-of-sight, and they may be UNDERWATER !
>
> Any suggestions ?

How about an acoustic coupler?  Make it a bit more sensitive than the
norm, and perhaps a bit louder, and error correct to the max.  It may
not be too hot on dry land but should work wonders underwater.  Don't
expect terribly high throughput though -- with the vaguaries of the
media, I'd expect you'd be stuck with FSK.

Failing that, I think you're looking at a low powered radio link, water
may be a problem in that respect (I haven't actually tried taking my HT
swimming with me 8-).

Don Stokes, ZL2TNM  /  /                             don@zl2tnm.gp.co.nz (home)
Systems Programmer /GP/ GP PRINT LIMITED  Wellington,       don@gp.co.nz (work)
__________________/  / ----------------   New_Zealand__________________________

dale@lamont.ldgo.columbia.edu (dale chayes) (03/24/91)

>>> In article <430.27e07fdb@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk> robw@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk
>>asked for suggestions about telemetry (persumably of data) over 10 feet,
>>perhaps, or sometimes underwater.
>>
>> In article <18928@milton.u.washington.edu>, whit@milton.u.washington.edu
>(John Whitmore) observed (in my words) that wires were out, and light might
>pose problems of alignment, so he suggested a tuned dashpot and 110 baud data
>rates, or if in fresh water, how about 49 megs (presumably RF) remote control
>systems.

Its not impossible to get above 110 baud, but its not easy. See the articles
in the Ocean Engineering issue I mentioned the other day.  Small, high
frequency (on the order of 50 to 300 kiloHertz) transducers are easy to come
by (they are used in fish finders, ultra sound imaging,  and depth sounders
for small boats.) You don't have to do much to protect the cables/electronics
in 10' of water.

National makes an  ultrasound transceiver (IC) designed for acoustic
operation in this range. Its an LM1812, and the specs and application
discussion are in Volume 3 of the National Linear databook.  Included in
their "typical applications" are sources for transducers.

(Standard Disclaimer....)
--

onymouse@netcom.COM (John Debert) (03/24/91)

From article <10286@exodus.Eng.Sun.COM>, by bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (I want to be eating rich soup in another town):
> In article <430.27e07fdb@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk> robw@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk writes:
> ->I need to transmit some data between two systems about 10 feet apart
> ->without being physically connected.
> ->They will not always be line-of-sight, and they may be UNDERWATER !
>
> How about something like sonar, i.e. use sound?  I don't know what the
> propagation delay would be, and what kind of data rates you would get.  Or
> how about low-power FM?  Or, magnetic induction - you should be able to get

Will any part of them always be in water? if so, how much?

What is meant by "not always be line-of-sight?"

The answers to the above will determine what method of communication would
best.

--
jd
onymouse@netcom.COM

ssave@ole.UUCP (Shailendra Save) (03/25/91)

From article <430.27e07fdb@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk>, by robw@brb.isnet.inmos.co.uk:
> I need to transmit some data between two systems about 10 feet apart
> without being physically connected.
> They will not always be line-of-sight, and they may be UNDERWATER !

  Try A.M., sound travels nicely under water.

will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp (will) (03/25/91)

	I read a few years back that DoD was working in this area and found
	GREEN LASER light to be very effective for sub to sub communication.

	Sorry, that's all I know about it, just read it in some mag.  Years
	ago.

                                        William Dee Rieken
                                        Researcher, Computer Visualization
                                        Faculty of Science and Technology
                                        Ryukoku University
                                        Seta, Otsu 520-21,
                                        Japan

                                        Tel: 0775-43-7418(direct)
                                        Fax: 0775-43-7749
                                        will@rins.ryukoku.ac.jp

siegman@sierra.STANFORD.EDU (Anthony E. Siegman) (03/27/91)

For low enough data rates and enough scattering objects around you
might be able to do it optically, i.e.  with modulated LEDs or laser
diodes and photodetectors.

I believe there are wireless LANs for use in offices in which the IR
transmitters just spray light at the ceiling and let it scatter to
receivers randomly located around the room.

Might also do a bistatic version, i. e. simplified low-power units at
the two sources, a more sensitive and powerful receive-and-retransmit
relay unit in between.

--AES