[sci.electronics] Electronic Compass

maa@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Marc Alexander) (03/26/91)

If anybody knows how a Solid State/Electronic Compass works,(no moving
parts.), would you mind telling me?
I am interested in how it determines Magnetic North using electrical
methods.

Thanks for your help in advance,

Marc Alexander                    |Internet maa@mullian.ee.mu.oz.au
dept. of ee eng ,uni of melbourne |UUnet uunet!munnari!mullian!maa
parkville 3052 australia           gsxr1100jcr125rcex500rx2dod144
fax +61 3 344 6678 voice 3447689       "Interesting Concept!"

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (03/27/91)

In article <7167@munnari.oz.au> maa@mullian.ee.mu.OZ.AU (Marc Alexander) writes:
>If anybody knows how a Solid State/Electronic Compass works,(no moving
>parts.), would you mind telling me?
>I am interested in how it determines Magnetic North using electrical
>methods.

	A magnetized piece of iron has lower magnetizability (lower
permeability) than an unmagnetized piece.  So, if you examine the
inductance of coils placed around, for instance, an iron ring,
the permeability of the ring can be measured (I think this is
actually done by examining the coupling of adjacent coils, i.e.
it is actually a MUTUAL inductance measured, rather than an
absolute inductance).
	The iron ring, if placed in the Earth's magnetic field,
will magnetize its EAST and WEST edges because those parts of
the ring are aligned with the field direction.  Some  magnetization
in the North and South sectors will occur, but not nearly as much
(this is a simple geometry effect).  So the inductance measurement
will show the orientation of the ring in the Earth's field.

	To get the absolute direction, one looks at some phase
lead/lag characteristics; this is easily done, and depends on the
magnetic field's polarity.  It is not unusual to have a 'compass
repeater' which puts the readout of the compass into some convenient
place, and (at least some of these) have very high-order correction
mechanisms (two dozen screw adjustments) so that a full 'pointing'
of the ships' compass takes into account the changing magnetization
of ALL the metal parts of the ship.
	On a sailing boat, the best place for the flux-gate is
atop the mast (so it's far from the troublesome masses of iron).

	John Whitmore