[sci.electronics] mixing bettery types. Why not?

jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) (03/27/91)

   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin@jade.tufts.edu.

   I was wondering. I often see warnings on electrical equipment to
not mix battery types. Can anyone explain to me why this is so (or,
maybe it is not so)? I have racked my brains trying to think of a
reason why the current flowing between the cells should care what type
of battery it came out of, but can't come up with anything (not
surprising - I am a bio major...). Anyone know?

				Mike Levin (mlevin@jade.tufts.edu)

raoul@eplunix.UUCP (Nico Garcia) (03/27/91)

In article <77759@bu.edu.bu.edu>, jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) writes:
>    I was wondering. I often see warnings on electrical equipment to
> not mix battery types. Can anyone explain to me why this is so (or,
> maybe it is not so)? I have racked my brains trying to think of a

Number of reasons: two batteries in series, for instance, will have
the same current flow through them. Since different types have different
amounts they can discharge, one of them will run out first and may start
reversing cells. And recharge circuits for ni-cad may not be compatible
with gel-cells, for example. Also, different battery chemistries have
different voltages. Ni-cad typically has 1.2 volts per cell, and alkaline
has 1.5. This means that ni-cads in parallel with alkaline will either
be drain the alkaline and overcharge themselves, or diode protection
will cause the alkaline to drain, then the ni-cads.

All sorts of problems. Don't do it if you can reasonably avoid it.
--
			Nico Garcia
			Designs by Geniuses for use by Idiots

whit@milton.u.washington.edu (John Whitmore) (03/27/91)

In article <77759@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) writes:

>   I was wondering. I often see warnings on electrical equipment to
>not mix battery types. Can anyone explain to me why this is so (or,
>maybe it is not so)? I have racked my brains trying to think of a
>reason why the current flowing between the cells should care

	All batteries have a total charge limit; when the number of
amp-hours the cell is good for is exhausted, the cell voltage
drops (and impedance rises).  Mixing battery types puts several
series-connected cells together, BUT always the current flow from
each of the cells is the same (Kirchoff's laws, for series
connection).  So, if you have a 1.2 amp-hour NiCad in series with
a 2.0 amp-hour alkaline cell, the end-of-life scenario is
that the 1.2 amp-hour NiCad drops to zero voltage first.  Then
the other cell (and the load) put current through anyhow, and
the voltage drops BELOW zero.
	Reverse-biasing the cell is a guaranteed path to early
and possibly catastrophic failure.
	This is why many battery packs are factory-connected cells;
the matching of individual NiCad cells makes a battery that will
last years (and the swapping of one cell from such a pack would
not significantly prolong the life of the remaining cells; the
mismatch of the new and old cells would kill the old ones early).

	John Whitmore

szarekw@lonexc.radc.af.mil (William J. Szarek) (03/27/91)

In article <77759@bu.edu.bu.edu> jdubb@bucsf.bu.edu (jay dubb) writes:

>   I am posting this for a friend of mine who doesn't have access
>to USENET, so please respond directly to mlevin@jade.tufts.edu.
>
>   I was wondering. I often see warnings on electrical equipment to
>not mix battery types. Can anyone explain to me why this is so (or,
>maybe it is not so)? I have racked my brains trying to think of a
>reason why the current flowing between the cells should care what type
>of battery it came out of, but can't come up with anything (not
>surprising - I am a bio major...). Anyone know?
>
>				Mike Levin (mlevin@jade.tufts.edu)

the internal resistance of each type of battery is differant.  Under heavy
loads this will cause a voltage imballance and a possible overload on the
battery . . . *poof*

hope this helps
buzz