[sci.electronics] Q: Using British TVs in North America

scrutton@ac.dal.ca (03/26/91)

Common question #37?

Is there a cheap solution (less than replacement cost) to using a
British TV in North America?

Power supplies, video format, and (I'm told) soley UHF receivers
would suggest otherwise in such a limited market but who knows...

Please reply via e-mail, my .newsrc runeth over because of
prolific groups like this.

PS: Sorry if this is a repeat. Our newsreader is braindead
(ANUnews)

-Jeff scrutton@ac.dal.ca

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (03/27/91)

In article <4161@ac.dal.ca> scrutton@ac.dal.ca writes:
>Common question #37?
>
>Is there a cheap solution (less than replacement cost) to using a
>British TV in North America?

No, unless your TV is a multi-standard one in the first place.
(Multi-standard TVs do exist, but are not common.)

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

myers@hpfcdj.HP.COM (Bob Myers) (03/28/91)

>Is there a cheap solution (less than replacement cost) to using a
>British TV in North America?

There is no good way to do this and still retain color capability, at least
nothing anywhere near as cheap as simply buying a U.S. set.

You MAY be able to pick up U.S. broadcasts in black and white, although
you'll likely have to readjust the "hold" and "centering" controls.

Bob Myers  KC0EW   HP Graphics Tech. Div.|  Opinions expressed here are not
                   Ft. Collins, Colorado |  those of my employer or any other
myers@fc.hp.com                          |  sentient life-form on this planet.