[sci.electronics] shmoo plots

gwh@mongoose.ess.harris.com (03/30/91)

I recently came across a reference to shmoo plots in an ECL data book.  Can
anyone tell what they are, how to read them, and what information they are
supposed to convey?

                                       Thanks,
                                       Greg Hoffman
                                       gwh@mongoose.ess.harris.com
                                       gwh@su59d.ess.harris.com

lbechtle@uceng.UC.EDU (laurie bechtler) (03/30/91)

Easy...a shmoo plot is just a graphical representation of some kind
of circuit condition versus two input variables.  When I had a real
job (as opposed to this grad school stuff) it was at a semiconductor
manufacturer and we used them all the time.  There are as many
variations as you have variables.  Example:  make the x-axis the
supply voltage, and the y-axis the '1' state voltage level.  Pick
an output criterion, say, does the circuit pass some specific functional
test?  Place an X everywhere on the plot that the circuit passes the
test.  You end up with some funny blob shape full of X's that shows
you where (on that particular set of axes) the circuit functions.

I think the name came from the old cartoon Li'l Abner...wasn't there
a creature called a shmoo?  I could be wrong.  Anyway, just take a
close look at the axis labeling and the test criteria for the graph
points.  You can also use more levels of description (0-9, say, or
letters) to mark different levels of performance.

ferguson@maitai.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dennis Ferguson) (03/31/91)

>Easy...a shmoo plot is just a graphical representation of some kind
>of circuit condition versus two input variables. [stuff deleted]
>
>I think the name came from the old cartoon Li'l Abner...wasn't there
>a creature called a shmoo?  I could be wrong. [stuff deleted]

Gee... I was taught that a smho was the reciprocal of resistance or
what is formally called conductance.  Hence, the smho was ohms spelled
backwards.  Several years back, the smho was abandoned for the internationally
accepted term "Siemans".  This was comparable to the abandoning of "cycles
per second" for "Hertz".

Is there some joke here I'm not getting....

Dennis

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar30.171137.25052@src.honeywell.com> ferguson@maitai.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Dennis Ferguson) writes:
>>Easy...a shmoo plot is just a graphical representation of some kind
>>of circuit condition versus two input variables. [stuff deleted]
>>I think the name came from the old cartoon Li'l Abner...wasn't there
>>a creature called a shmoo?  I could be wrong. [stuff deleted]
>
>Gee... I was taught that a smho was the reciprocal of resistance or
>what is formally called conductance.  Hence, the smho was ohms spelled
>backwards.  Several years back, the smho was abandoned for the internationally
>accepted term "Siemans".  This was comparable to the abandoning of "cycles
>per second" for "Hertz".
>
>Is there some joke here I'm not getting....

   Yes. A reciprocal ohm used to be called a "mho" (never "smho")
   and anyhow "smho" is not "shmoo" (look closely at the order of
   letters in it).

     The mho is now called the Siemens (not "Siemans").

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.