[sci.electronics] TV transmitter in recent mag

steelie@bucsf.bu.edu (James Howard) (03/29/91)

 In a recent electronics mag (I cant remember which) there was an article
on how to build a TV transmitter.  The author was selling the project
in kit form for around 70-100 bucks.  Each price reflecting the low, and
high power kits respectively.  The high power kit was 2 watts and was
"to be used only by technician class" or some such disclaimer.

My question is, does anyone know what the name of this magazine was and
more importantly, can anyone attest as to the quality or functionality
of this kit ?   Or maybe even give some sources of kits that are known
positively to work?  It seems like this could be an interesting project
to spend some time with.

I'm not really concerned with any kits range as long as it can produce
a clear, quality signal.  Linear amplifiers are unbelievably simple
to come by, in fact probably criminally easy to come by.  :-)

steelie@bucsf.bu.edu

mcovingt@athena.cs.uga.edu (Michael A. Covington) (03/30/91)

The magazine was Radio-Electronics and a Technician Class ham license is
required. (You can get this license without having to learn Morse Code,
thanks to a recent change in the rules; just memorize a few rules about
frequency bands, and you probably already know enough theory.)

All I remember about the transmitter was that I had the vague impression
that it looked good.

Michael A. Covington | Artificial Intelligence Programs
The University of Georgia  |  Athens, GA 30602   U.S.A.

roberts@hydra.unm.edu () (03/30/91)

In article <77987@bu.edu.bu.edu> steelie@bucsf.bu.edu (James Howard) writes:

> In a recent electronics mag (I cant remember which) there was an article
>on how to build a TV transmitter.  The author was selling the project
>in kit form for around 70-100 bucks.  Each price reflecting the low, and
>high power kits respectively.  The high power kit was 2 watts and was
>"to be used only by technician class" or some such disclaimer.
>
>My question is, does anyone know what the name of this magazine was and
>more importantly, can anyone attest as to the quality or functionality
>of this kit ?   Or maybe even give some sources of kits that are known

You are probably referring to the amateur TV transmitter that was in a magazine
called Radio Electronics around June or July 1989.  I can't tell you about how
good it is or things like that.

Robert

snyderw@rpi.edu (Wilson P. Snyder II) (03/31/91)

I purchased the transmitter, and found the project to be very good.
It took a while to get it tuned up right - the power output has to be
just right to get high quality video.

It is a 4" by 3" or so PCB, with parts for about $130.  I hacked it
into a 1" by 9" device so I could fit it onto a railroad car.  Coupled
with a Lionel Railscope (1" by 8" camera, in another car) the results
are pretty good.  There are only two problems.  One, it draws two
amps, and two, I can't fit the antenna into the railroad car because
it interferes with the transmitter.

Anyhow, it delivered what was promiced.  (There is also a version for
UHF channel 14 & 15, which is technically illegal if using the 2W version.)

It is available from North Country Radio in upstate NY.  Unfortunately
I don't have the address here, you'll have to look it up in the magazine.

davet@tsdiag.ccur.com (Dave Tiller N2KAU) (04/02/91)

-In article <77987@bu.edu.bu.edu> steelie@bucsf.bu.edu (James Howard) writes:
->
-> In a recent electronics mag (I cant remember which) there was an article
->on how to build a TV transmitter.  The author was selling the project
->in kit form for around 70-100 bucks.  Each price reflecting the low, and
->high power kits respectively.  The high power kit was 2 watts and was
->"to be used only by technician class" or some such disclaimer.
->My question is, does anyone know what the name of this magazine was and
->more importantly, can anyone attest as to the quality or functionality
->of this kit ?   Or maybe even give some sources of kits that are known

If you're talking about the PC-Electronics ATV transmitter, I can give you
a quick review.  I like it.  It works as expected, and has plenty of versa-
tility to meet most needs.  The licensing requirements are indeed amateur
technician class or higher, since it uses (large) portions of the 70cm band
(440 MHz). They also have models that operate on 902-928 (along with all of
those cussed Part 15 transmitters) and 1240-1300 MHz.
--
David E. Tiller         davet@tsdiag.ccur.com  | Concurrent Computer Corp.
FAX:  201-870-5952      Ph: (201) 870-4119 (w) | 2 Crescent Place, M/S 117