[sci.electronics] Phoneline levels, interfaces in E Europe?

antenna@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Horvitz) (04/02/91)

I am writing a pamphlet describing how to build a low-cost,
low-power radio station under conditions prevalent in
Central/Eastern Europe.  It will be translated and distributed
in those countries.

Many applicants for radio licenses in the post-communist
countries are particularly interested in airing telephone
talk shows.  So my question to netreaders is:

     Do Eastern Europe telephone systems operate at the same
     line levels as in the US?

     Can anyone recommend a particular telephone interface
     unit that combines low cost with the ability to handle
     noisy, unstable phonelines?

Equipment specs and source addresses with phone, fax and telex
numbers will be most appreciated - and included in the
pamphlet's listing of "Sources."

Respond by email, if you wish, or post your comments to the
net.  Either way, thanks in advance!

     ---Robert Horvitz
     Internews Radio Consultant
     Independent Electronic Media Program for East & Central Europe

--
!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|.!.|
Robert Horvitz    1122-1/2 E St. SE    Washington, DC 20003-2232    USA

acmnews@zeus.unomaha.edu (Paul W. Schleck KD3FU) (04/03/91)

In article <23987@well.sf.ca.us>, antenna@well.sf.ca.us (Robert Horvitz) writes:
> I am writing a pamphlet describing how to build a low-cost,
> low-power radio station under conditions prevalent in
> Central/Eastern Europe.  It will be translated and distributed
> in those countries.
>
> Many applicants for radio licenses in the post-communist
> countries are particularly interested in airing telephone
> talk shows.  So my question to netreaders is:
>
>      Do Eastern Europe telephone systems operate at the same
>      line levels as in the US?
>
>      Can anyone recommend a particular telephone interface
>      unit that combines low cost with the ability to handle
>      noisy, unstable phonelines?
>
> Equipment specs and source addresses with phone, fax and telex
> numbers will be most appreciated - and included in the
> pamphlet's listing of "Sources."
>
> Respond by email, if you wish, or post your comments to the
> net.  Either way, thanks in advance!
>
>      ---Robert Horvitz
>      Internews Radio Consultant
>      Independent Electronic Media Program for East & Central Europe
>

> --
> Robert Horvitz    1122-1/2 E St. SE    Washington, DC 20003-2232    USA
> antenna@well.sf.ca.us     ...{apple,pacbell,hplabs,ucbvax}!well!antenna

I've sent a copy to the comp.dcom.telecom moderator.  I'm sure readers
of that newsgroups will be able to help you.

Paul Schleck