[sci.electronics] NEED LCD mini-terminal with RS-232 int.

colu@kaos.mbari.org (Luke Coletti) (03/28/91)

 I am looking for a small LCD terminal (preferably backlit) say in
the range of 2 to 4 rows by 40 to 80 columns, with an RS-232 int-
erface. The application is a remote data terminal for the operator
of an overboard instrument array.

Luke Coletti
M.B.A.R.I.
colu@hp850.mbari.org

kdahlhau@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Kevin P Dahlhausen) (03/28/91)

In article <1991Mar27.230118.24489@kaos.mbari.org> colu@kaos.mbari.org (Luke Coletti) writes:

> I am looking for a small LCD terminal (preferably backlit) say in
>the range of 2 to 4 rows by 40 to 80 columns, with an RS-232 int-
>erface. The application is a remote data terminal for the operator
>of an overboard instrument array.

 I don't remember the exact issues, they were within the last 6 months,
 but Dr. Dobbs ran a two-issue series on the software design of just
 such a terminal. I am sure that the company contact was listed
 at the end of the articles. You could contact the company from there.

 Kevin P. Dahlhausen              kdahlhau@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu
	                          ap096@freenet-in-a.cwru.edu

 The Ohio State University             "The best way to accelerate   |
 Tis iNc                                a MAC is 9.8 meters per      |
                                        second per second."          #

rustyh@wam.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (03/29/91)

>In article <1991Mar27.230118.24489@kaos.mbari.org> colu@kaos.mbari.org (Luke Coletti) writes:
>>
>> I am looking for a small LCD terminal (preferably backlit) say in
>>the range of 2 to 4 rows by 40 to 80 columns, with an RS-232 int-
>>erface. The application is a remote data terminal for the operator
>>of an overboard instrument array.

Burr-Brown makes a series of terminals (a couple of hundred dollars I think
that do what you want)

--
Michael Katzmann  (VK2BEA/G4NYV/NV3Z)   Please email to this address |
Broadcast Sports Technology                                          |

danr@ais.org (Daniel Romanchik) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.151429.17213@wam.umd.edu> rustyh@wam.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar27.230118.24489@kaos.mbari.org> colu@kaos.mbari.org (Luke Coletti) writes:
>>>
>>> I am looking for a small LCD terminal (preferably backlit) say in
>>>the range of 2 to 4 rows by 40 to 80 columns, with an RS-232 int-
>>>erface. The application is a remote data terminal for the operator
>>>of an overboard instrument array.
>>
>Burr-Brown makes a series of terminals (a couple of hundred dollars I think
>that do what you want)

Another manufacturer of such a terminal is Computerwise, 302 N. Winchester,
Olathe, KS 66062, telephone 913-829-0600.  The cost is around $300.
I've used these, and they work pretty well.  They advertise in BYTE if you
want to have a look at them.

Have fun, Dan  (danr@irie.ais.org)

szarekw@lonexc.radc.af.mil (William J. Szarek) (04/01/91)

In article <1991Mar29.151429.17213@wam.umd.edu> rustyh@wam.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) writes:
>>In article <1991Mar27.230118.24489@kaos.mbari.org> colu@kaos.mbari.org (Luke Coletti) writes:
>>>
>>> I am looking for a small LCD terminal (preferably backlit) say in
>>>the range of 2 to 4 rows by 40 to 80 columns, with an RS-232 int-
>>>erface. The application is a remote data terminal for the operator
>>>of an overboard instrument array.
>>
>Burr-Brown makes a series of terminals (a couple of hundred dollars I think
>that do what you want)

does anybody have an address, phone for Burr-Brown?  Does anybody wanna sell
one of these things?

thanks
buzz

rustyh@wam.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (04/02/91)

In article <1991Apr1.144322.16897@lonex.radc.af.mil> szarekw@lonexc.radc.af.mil (William J. Szarek) writes:

>>Burr-Brown makes a series of terminals (a couple of hundred dollars I think
>>that do what you want)
>>
>does anybody have an address, phone for Burr-Brown?  Does anybody wanna sell
>one of these things?
>
>thanks
>buzz
Burr-Brown (602) 746-1111

BTW have alook at a surplus co in Florida - Marlin P. Jones.   They sell
displays (IEE vacuum fluorescent) 2 x 40 that takes RS232 1200 bd (and
parrallel) for $24.  These things usuually cost a few hundred.
They also have LCD FLAT Pannels (Epsom super twist $29.95) and others.
PH (407) 844-8764  (ask for latest catalogue (91-2))

--

spcecdt@deeptht.santa-cruz.ca.us (John DuBois) (04/04/91)

In article <1991Mar28.153802.16026@magnus.acs.ohio-state.edu> kdahlhau@magnus.ircc.ohio-state.edu (Kevin P Dahlhausen) writes:
+>
+
+ I don't remember the exact issues, they were within the last 6 months,
+ but Dr. Dobbs ran a two-issue series on the software design of just
+ such a terminal. I am sure that the company contact was listed
+ at the end of the articles. You could contact the company from there.

    It was the Feb. and March 91 issues.  The company is

Murata Handheld Terminals
9 Columbia Dr.
Amherst, NH 03031

	John