[sci.electronics] EPROM data retention?

adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) (04/04/91)

EPROM specifications mention a data retention in excess of 10 years.
Does this mean 10 years from correct programming, or does it mean 10 years
after removal of power source? Is it reasonable to expect EPROM to retain
its data for 100 years if it is used regularly?
--
Adam David.  (adamd@rhi.hi.is)

In article <3010@krafla.rhi.hi.is> adamd@rhi.hi.is (Adam David) writes:
>EPROM specifications mention a data retention in excess of 10 years.
>Does this mean 10 years from correct programming, or does it mean 10 years
>after removal of power source? Is it reasonable to expect EPROM to retain
>its data for 100 years if it is used regularly?

Ten years from correct programming.  Power is not involved in the data
retention process and will not extend whatever lifetime the data has.

Actually, "in excess of 10 years" means "we're pretty sure it will last
at least 10, so we'll promise that and no more".  EPROMs have not been
around more than about 15 years, and so any estimate of how long the
data in them will really last is necessarily an extrapolation from tests
in unrealistically harsh conditions.  We just don't know what their real
lifetime will be in normal conditions, not for sure.  Nobody is going to
promise 100 years based on current information.
--
"The stories one hears about putting up | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
SunOS 4.1.1 are all true."  -D. Harrison|  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry