[sci.electronics] Making an explosion

jw@crystal1.UUCP (John S. Wainscott) (04/04/91)

I'm trying to build an explosion sound effects circuit as part of a larger
circuit but I can't seem to get away from using lots of parts.  The circuit
is powered by 3V to 4.5V and the explosion is triggered by a CMOS gate.  I'd
like there to be a slowly increasing tone (20-30sec) followed by an explosion
then silence.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

John Wainscott                         jw@sch.com
Software Clearing House, Inc.

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (04/05/91)

In article <413@crystal1.UUCP>, jw@crystal1.UUCP (John S. Wainscott) writes:
> I'm trying to build an explosion sound effects circuit as part of a larger
> circuit but I can't seem to get away from using lots of parts.  The circuit
> is powered by 3V to 4.5V and the explosion is triggered by a CMOS gate.  I'd
> like there to be a slowly increasing tone (20-30sec) followed by an explosion
> then silence.

You need LOTS more voltage.  About 120V across a small electrolytic cap,
say one with a 12V rating, ought to do it.  A capacitor used in this manner
is referred to as a NED -- Noise-Emitting Diode.

(seriously -- 'round fourth of july, we used to put capacitors out in the
middle of the street (a cul-de-sac), attached to clip leads at the end of a
*long* extension cord.  Plug in the cord and.... the exact result would depend
on the cap and on its safety valve, if any, but most would explode with a quite
satisfying bang.  There was a law in our town banning privately-detonated
firecrackers of all sorts, but it was not illegal to overload electrolytic
capacitors.)

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

cwcst1@unix.cis.pitt.edu (Carol Coates) (04/06/91)

In article <1991Apr5.002816.2256@dcs.simpact.com> jeh@dcs.simpact.com writes:
>In article <413@crystal1.UUCP>, jw@crystal1.UUCP (John S. Wainscott) writes:
>> I'm trying to build an explosion sound effects circuit as part of a larger
>> circuit but I can't seem to get away from using lots of parts.  The circuit
>> is powered by 3V to 4.5V and the explosion is triggered by a CMOS gate.  I'd
>> like there to be a slowly increasing tone (20-30sec) followed by an explosion
>> then silence.
>
>You need LOTS more voltage.  About 120V across a small electrolytic cap,
>say one with a 12V rating, ought to do it.  A capacitor used in this manner
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

	Greetings. How true - make sure you have some current, too :-)

	What we did, last year (Pennsylvania has very strict fire cracker
	laws - ie. sparklers only ;-) for the 4th.

	1) Take a terminal - any will do.
	2) Take the tube out - unplug the HV (anode?)
	3) Take a 5MFD @ 5000V (or 2 :-)
	4) Power up the terminal (look out for the sparks)
	5) Ground one terminal of the cap and (momentarily) attach
	   the HV to the other.
	6) Take the largest Craftsman flat screwdriver you can find.
	7) Put on your safety gogles and SHORT THE TERMINAL!

	BBBBAAAAMMMM!!!!!!

	Oh, so you need CMOS to control the thing... well, there is
	such a thing as a "relay" :-)

	Take care.

	P.S. I joke you not.

>is referred to as a NED -- Noise-Emitting Diode.
                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
				That's cute :-)

>(seriously -- 'round fourth of july, we used to put capacitors out in the
>middle of the street (a cul-de-sac), attached to clip leads at the end of a
>*long* extension cord.  Plug in the cord and.... the exact result would depend

	That's fine.... but you need a new one every time.... ;-)

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (04/07/91)

> 	2) Take the tube out - unplug the HV (anode?)

2a)  you probably need to remove the yolk from the tube, and restore it
to the circuit.  Most TV-like video chassis' use the strong current
running through one of the deflection coils (the horizontal coil, in
a horizontal-scan monitor) to also drive the primary of the flyback