[sci.electronics] TEC-200 Film for making PC boards

rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) (04/03/91)

In the new Radio-Electronics, page 50AI, is an ad describing this stuff
that you can use to make PC boards (use copier to copy artwork onto
film, iron film onto board, peel and etch). It sounds too good to be
true - has anyone used it and can tell us how well it works ? I've tried
the standard copier/transparency film technique, and never really got
it to work all that well for smaller traces, and I was wondering if this
was any better.

--
Rainer Malzbender, PhD                                Save a dinosaur - buy DEC.
Dept. of Physics (303)492-6829

acm@Sun.COM (Andrew MacRae) (04/09/91)

In article <1991Apr2.215801.22679@colorado.edu>, rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) writes:
> In the new Radio-Electronics, page 50AI, is an ad describing this stuff
> that you can use to make PC boards (use copier to copy artwork onto
> film, iron film onto board, peel and etch). It sounds too good to be
> true - has anyone used it and can tell us how well it works ? I've tried
> the standard copier/transparency film technique, and never really got
> it to work all that well for smaller traces, and I was wondering if this
> was any better.

A year ago I used what I call regular acetate overhead transparency film to
do the same.  What I found was that you need to heat the copper board well,
place the acetate sheet on the copper, heat again for about ten seconds, then
allow the copper to cool until room temperature before attempting to remove
the acetate sheet.  If you try too soon (as I did at first) a thin film of
acetate will remain on the copper board.

I used a clothes iron to heat the board and to press down on the acetate.  Be
careful not to use too much pressure when pressing as that will cause the
traces to spread out.

I used this technique to fashion a board holding an 8749 microcontroler.

						Andrew C. MacRae