[sci.electronics] L-R output for center front car speaker

tbrown@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Thomas Brown [901015]) (04/03/91)

What is the best way to obtain a difference output (L-R) from separate
L and R outputs (about 12W/channel) without damaging the power amplifier
in the radio?  If this is a problem, a sum output (L+R) would also be
acceptable, but the difference output would enhance the overall stereo
effect in the system.

Regards,
-Tom
--=--
Thomas Brown, KA2UGQ          BITNET: twb0@lehigh.bitnet
Lehigh University UC Box 855    ARPA: tbrown@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU
Bethlehem, PA  18015            UUCP: ..!uunet!twb0@lehigh.bitnet
(215) 758-0093                 AX.25: ka2ugq@ka2ugq.nj.usa.na

'You can't have everything...where would you put it?' -S.W.

bks@shiva.Berkeley.EDU (Brian K. Shiratsuki) (04/09/91)

In article <1486@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> tbrown@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Thomas Brown [901015]) writes:
>What is the best way to obtain a difference output (L-R) from separate
>L and R outputs (about 12W/channel) without damaging the power amplifier
>in the radio?  If this is a problem, a sum output (L+R) would also be
>acceptable, but the difference output would enhance the overall stereo
>effect in the system.

the factory stereo in my car came with one center speaker in the front,
and two on either side in the rear.  i added two speakers on either
side in the front, and run them with an outboard power amplifier.  the
center front speaker is disconnected (none of the factory speakers were
Particularly Good), but i run the rear speakers in series and out of
phase with the difference signal from the amplifier built into the
radio.

the way to do this is to disconnect the - sides of the two rear speakers
from the radio, and connect them together.  if the radio works with a common
ground, you hear interesting ambience stuff from the rear.  the fader
on the radio works as an attenuator, but i like the effect full-blast.
the radio has not been damaged at all by this, and i believe it would
even be safe to run the rear speakers from the outboard amp.  but then
the inboard amp wouldn't have anything to do and i wouldn't have a built-in
attenuator.

i don't think that i would want the ambience stuff coming from the center
middle.

the idea for the arrangement came from the dyna company, maybe even from
hafler.

					brian

bill@thd.tv.tek.com (William K. McFadden) (04/09/91)

In article <1486@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU> tbrown@lehi3b15.csee.Lehigh.EDU (Thomas Brown [901015]) writes:
>What is the best way to obtain a difference output (L-R) from separate
>L and R outputs (about 12W/channel) without damaging the power amplifier
>in the radio?  If this is a problem, a sum output (L+R) would also be
>acceptable, but the difference output would enhance the overall stereo
>effect in the system.

First, make sure the amplifier does not have a bridged output.  Check
with an ohmmeter to make sure the - speaker terminals are connected to
ground.  Most car radios work this way, but ones labelled "high power"
usually have bridged outputs.

If your radio does not have bridged outputs, connect the center speaker
between the + speaker terminals of the radio.  Tune the radio to a mono
signal, and adjust the balance control for minimum output from the
center speaker.

I did this with my mom's car, and it worked great.

Disclaimer:  If you do this and it causes your radio to and catch fire,
burning you and your passengers to death, don't come crying to me!
--
Bill McFadden    Tektronix, Inc.  P.O. Box 500  MS 58-639  Beaverton, OR  97077
bill@videovax.tv.tek.com,     {hplabs,uw-beaver,decvax}!tektronix!videovax!bill