[sci.electronics] nitrogen laser

cshort@nmsu.edu (Spmg*d, Lord of Potted Meat Product) (04/09/91)

hi, i was talking to a fellow at work and he mentioned
how easy it was to build a superflouresing ultraviolet
nitrogen laser that would work well as a pump source.

does anyone know anything about a beast such as this?

any info would be appreciated.

chris

 |----------------------|----------------------                     |
 |the world is spam and |    Chris Short                            |
 | we are but the key   |          Computing Research Labatory      |
 |--------|-------------|          Box 30001/3 CRL                  |
          |                        New Mexico State University      |
          |                        Las Cruces, NM 88003-0001        |
          |      Email: Cshort@nmsu.edu  Fax:505 646 6218|-------------------|
          |      Voice: 505 646 6216                     |SpamKey productions|
          |                     -------------------------|-------------------|

--

 |----------------------|----------------------                     |

palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com (Colonel Mode) (04/10/91)

cshort@nmsu.edu (Spmg*d, Lord of Potted Meat Product) writes...

>hi, i was talking to a fellow at work and he mentioned
>how easy it was to build a superflouresing ultraviolet
>nitrogen laser that would work well as a pump source.
>
>does anyone know anything about a beast such as this?

Scientific American published instructions on how to build such a laser in the
Amateur Scientist column back in the early seventies when C.L. Stong was still
writing it. Check it out.

Chris Palmer
palmer@tallis.enet.dec.com "Colonel Mode"
work:(508)486-6667

steveq@syd.dms.CSIRO.AU (Stephen Quigg) (04/10/91)

In article <CSHORT.91Apr8180050@haywire.nmsu.edu> cshort@nmsu.edu (Spmg*d, Lord of Potted Meat Product) writes:

>hi, i was talking to a fellow at work and he mentioned
>how easy it was to build a superflouresing ultraviolet
>nitrogen laser that would work well as a pump source.
>
>does anyone know anything about a beast such as this?
>
>any info would be appreciated.

 "The Amateur Scientist" in Scientific American had an article somewhere in
the early 70's. The laser was VERY simple since the gain was so high that
an optical cavity wasn't nescessary ( in fact wouldn't work since the lasing
action is self quenching).
|net: steveq@natmlab.dap.CSIRO.AU| phone:             |         |.      D   |
|Snail: PO Box 218 Lindfield,    |(02) 413-7631 (Fax) |*                W   |
|       Sydney, NSW, 2070 (Aust) |(02) 601-5450 (Home)|                 N   |