[sci.electronics] Prototyping with surface mount

palmer@nntp-server.caltech.edu (David Palmer) (04/07/91)

I have a couple of chips I want to play with.  One of them is
a DIP with pins on 50 mil centers (half the standard spacing)
and the other is a flat-pack with gull wing leads on 1 mm centers.

Are there any sockets or adaptors to allow these to be wire-wrapped,
or do I have to build a circuit board?

--
		David Palmer
		palmer@gap.cco.caltech.edu

mmm@cup.portal.com (Mark Robert Thorson) (04/08/91)

You might try wiring the chips to a header (a pin block with a standard
DIP or PGA footprint).  Because the lead pitch is so small, it might
help to bend alternate leads up or down before soldering to them.

When it comes to adapter assemblies, Emulation Technology seems to
have the broadest product line.  I think they're located in Sunnyvale.

ahill@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Andy Hill) (04/08/91)

> You might try wiring the chips to a header (a pin block with a standard
> DIP or PGA footprint).  Because the lead pitch is so small, it might
> help to bend alternate leads up or down before soldering to them.
>
> When it comes to adapter assemblies, Emulation Technology seems to
> have the broadest product line.  I think they're located in Sunnyvale.

For Emulation Technology's prices, you'd be able to buy a LOT of through-hole
equivalent parts...

cormack@sequent.UUCP (Mike Cormack) (04/10/91)

In article <970027@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com> ahill@hpdmd48.boi.hp.com (Andy Hill) writes:

>> You might try wiring the chips to a header (a pin block with a standard
>> DIP or PGA footprint).  Because the lead pitch is so small, it might
>> help to bend alternate leads up or down before soldering to them.
>>
>> When it comes to adapter assemblies, Emulation Technology seems to
>> have the broadest product line.  I think they're located in Sunnyvale.
>>
>For Emulation Technology's prices, you'd be able to buy a LOT of through-hole
>equivalent parts...

Try calling one of these companies rather than going broke with ET.

Nepenthe   800 NEPENTHE
Plastronics Austin, TX (sorry, no phone number:'(
Yamaichi  415 856 9332

mike

mf3a+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Finkelstein) (04/10/91)

>I have a couple of chips I want to play with.  One of them is
>a DIP with pins on 50 mil centers (half the standard spacing)
>and the other is a flat-pack with gull wing leads on 1 mm centers.
>
>Are there any sockets or adaptors to allow these to be wire-wrapped,
>or do I have to build a circuit board?

I have have the same question, and am also interested in adapters or
wire-wrap sockets for 68-lead PLCC's.  I know JDR and Jameco electronics
both carry something called a PLCC "carrier", but I don't know if a
"carrier" is what I'm looking for.  Any ideas?

--- Mark Finkelstein
     mf3a+@andrew.cmu.edu