[sci.electronics] D&D + Universal Descrambler

sb2o+@andrew.cmu.edu (Scott Klaus Boehmke) (04/10/91)

A friend of mine just tried to order the kit from D&D electronics, and
they said that they were under a restraining order and could not send
out any parts for any descrambler kits.  Further inquiry revealed that
General Instrument had filed a restraining order, and that D&D's appeal
was stuck in litigation (the restraint went into effect yesterday)

On what grounds can GI do this?  D&D is selling the kits with the article that
tells people to notify the cable comany if you hook up the circuit.  In my
mind, that's the end of their responsibility, and now it is in the buyer's
hands.

Is GI getting threats from cable companies to change systems if something isn't
done soon?  Just a possiblity...

Scott Boehmke
sb2o@andrew.cmu.edu

jl4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jason C. Y. Lee) (04/10/91)

Does anyone know of another company that sells this Universal Descrambler kit
that was described in Radio Electronics?

Jason Lee

rusty@steelmill.cs.umd.edu (Rusty Haddock) (04/11/91)

In article <4c0ZGTS00WB5QKKUkP@andrew.cmu.edu> jl4x+@andrew.cmu.edu (Jason C. Y. Lee) writes:
   >Does anyone know of another company that sells this Universal Descrambler
   >kit that was described in Radio Electronics?

Have you tried North Country Radio as listed in the article???  I don't
have the phone number handy but call information.  NCR is a small
operation and is not physically located in the town mentioned --- just
down the road a mile or two though.

Last month I called about the kit.  NCR doesn't have any more full kits
but they are/were selling a partial kit with PCB, IC's (the important
stuff!!!), a pack of resistors, variable cap's, (and coils?), and a 12V
transformer for $60 - $70.  I went ahead and ordered the partial kit and
received it after my personal check cleared (they suggest to send a PO
MO) in about 2-weeks time.  Try calling them and find out what the status
is.  If you and the information operator can't locate the phone number
send me some mail and I'll check my phone bills.

	-Rusty-
--
Rusty Haddock / CompSci Dept		DOMAIN:	rusty@mimsy.cs.umd.edu
University of Maryland		PATH:	{uunet,rutgers}!mimsy!rusty

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) (04/11/91)

>On what grounds can GI do this?  D&D is selling the kits with the article that
>tells people to notify the cable comany if you hook up the circuit.  In my
>mind, that's the end of their responsibility, and now it is in the buyer's
>hands.

How? Simply by getting a judge to agree to a "temporary" restraining order.
This isn't too hard to do - it usually takes some evidence that allowing
the activity to continue until a final judgement would occur (maybe years)
would cause serious harm or damage to one's business.

>Is GI getting threats from cable companies to change systems if something isn'
>done soon?  Just a possiblity...

Very probable. Now, GI is covering their own ass...

Dave