[sci.electronics] Plugging C64 chroma/luma into Super-VHS monitor

mvp@jack.sns.com (Mike Van Pelt) (04/05/91)

I just got a TV/monitor to replace the old set, and it has Super-VHS
y-c imputs.  Someone told me that this might be compatible with the
separate chroma/luma outputs of the Commodore 64.  Does anyone know if
this is true, and if so, have any details?  Like maybe a source and
pinouts for that funny MacPlug that the Super-VHS input uses?

Thanks.
--
  Caution: Thermostellar device.          Mike Van Pelt
       Handle with care.                  Headland Technology

neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu (04/07/91)

In article <1991Apr5.033302.3951@jack.sns.com>, mvp@jack.sns.com (Mike Van Pelt) writes:
> I just got a TV/monitor to replace the old set, and it has Super-VHS
> y-c imputs.  Someone told me that this might be compatible with the
> separate chroma/luma outputs of the Commodore 64.  Does anyone know if
> this is true, and if so, have any details?  Like maybe a source and
> pinouts for that funny MacPlug that the Super-VHS input uses?

Seems like it should be possible, the C64 does supply separate Y-C video, but
there might be problems like additional conections not available from a VIC
chip (like a sync pulse on a separte pin), or the bandwidth requirements may be
different (to acheive the better resolution)--either of these, of coarse, go
beyond the NTSC standard.  However, you won't hurt anything by trying---I would
just get the pinouts from somewhere (a local Hi-Fi repair shop should be able
to help you out well) and just try the thing.  Anyone else have any ideas???

-Mike
neusoft@vax1.mankato.msus.edu

Erik_Whiteway@resbbs.UUCP (Erik Whiteway) (04/12/91)

The S=VHS is the same thing as the out put of the 64, the are compleatly
compatible. As for pins look in the book that came with the tv, or call a
repair shop.
                         Good luck
                                     Erik Whiteway