[sci.electronics] 0.07" IC sockets

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) (03/27/91)

Lucky me, I need to use a chip with 0.07" pin spacing (instead of
the standard 0.1" dip).

Does anyone know where to get sockets for these things?  I've never
seen them, and the usual catalogs don't have them...

Thanks.

  Who:  Greg Bell                            Address:  gbell@ucsd.edu
 What:  EE hobbyist and major                  Where:  UC San Diego

roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) (04/06/91)

In sci.electronics, Greg Bell <gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> writes:

| Lucky me, I need to use a chip with 0.07" pin spacing (instead of
| the standard 0.1" dip).
|
| Does anyone know where to get sockets for these things?  I've never
| seen them, and the usual catalogs don't have them...

What chip is this?  Sounds goofy.

Are you sure it's not a 0.05" pin spacing, like on a surface mount IC?

Roger

wilker@gauss.math.purdue.edu (Clarence Wilkerson) (04/08/91)

Well, the hitachi 64180 augmented z80 chip has closely spaced
leads in a DIP package also.
Clarence Wilkerson

jbertoia@medar.com (Jeffrey A. Bertoia) (04/08/91)

In article <7380021@hpnmdla.hp.com> roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) writes:
>In sci.electronics, Greg Bell <gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> writes:

>| Lucky me, I need to use a chip with 0.07" pin spacing (instead of
>| the standard 0.1" dip).

>| Does anyone know where to get sockets for these things?  I've never
>| seen them, and the usual catalogs don't have them...

Most major socket manufaturers have at least a 64 pin version. . . You fail
to supply pin count or the width dimension.  Try Augat.

>What chip is this?  Sounds goofy.

The Hitachi HD64180 or the Zilog Z180 at a minimum.

>Are you sure it's not a 0.05" pin spacing, like on a surface mount IC?

Yep. I'm sure.  It was an attempt by Hitachi originally, to provide high
density packaging for through hole applications.

jeff
--
Jeffrey A. Bertoia				Medar, Inc.
...!uunet!medar!jbertoia			38700 Grand River Ave.

Dick@cup.portal.com (dick a wotiz) (04/09/91)

>In sci.electronics, Greg Bell <gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> writes:

>| Lucky me, I need to use a chip with 0.07" pin spacing (instead of
>| the standard 0.1" dip).

>| Does anyone know where to get sockets for these things?  I've never
>| seen them, and the usual catalogs don't have them...

This sounds like what TI calls 'shrink-dip'.  It uses .07" pin spacing,
with .4" row spacing (for 28-pin socket) to .75" row spacing (64 pins).
I saw some in the latest Mouser Electronics catalog, with 24 to 64 pin sizes.
Their number is 800-346-6873, and their part number is 151-7xx-STT
(xx = pin count)

Dick Wotiz                                     dick@portal.com

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) (04/10/91)

In article <7380021@hpnmdla.hp.com> roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) writes:
>In sci.electronics, Greg Bell <gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> writes:
>
>| Lucky me, I need to use a chip with 0.07" pin spacing (instead of
>| the standard 0.1" dip).
>|
>| Does anyone know where to get sockets for these things?  I've never
>| seen them, and the usual catalogs don't have them...
>
>What chip is this?  Sounds goofy.
>
>Are you sure it's not a 0.05" pin spacing, like on a surface mount IC?

Nope, its 0.07".  Its TI's TSP53C30.  Called a "slim dip" package, I
think.  Unfortunately, they don't offer it in a regular DIP package.
Does that match your def. of "goofy"?!

For the record, there are a several companies that make sockets for
these things:

Texas Instruments - CSD Marketing  ph: 508-699-3800.  solder tail

Mill-Max Mfg. Corp. - ph: 516-922-6000.  solder tail, wire-wrap

Cyten Circuit Design - ph: 214-341-1069.  70-100 mil adapter PCB.

roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) (04/10/91)

In sci.electronics, Greg Bell <gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> writes:

| In article <7380021@hpnmdla.hp.com> roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) writes:
| >In sci.electronics, Greg Bell <gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu> writes:
| >
| >| Lucky me, I need to use a chip with 0.07" pin spacing (instead of
| >| the standard 0.1" dip).
| >
| >What chip is this?  Sounds goofy.
| >Are you sure it's not a 0.05" pin spacing, like on a surface mount IC?
|
| Nope, its 0.07".  Its TI's TSP53C30.  Called a "slim dip" package, I
| think.  Unfortunately, they don't offer it in a regular DIP package.
| Does that match your def. of "goofy"?!

:-)
OK, maybe not goofy.  More like a "standard" that never caught on.
Sounds like a lot of fun to work with!

I always assumed those dense through hole parts used 0.05" spacing.  But I
never measured one.  Thanks for the info.

| Cyten Circuit Design - ph: 214-341-1069.  70-100 mil adapter PCB.
                                            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This sounds like a nifty little device!

Roger

wtm@uhura.neoucom.EDU (Bill Mayhew) (04/12/91)

> What kind of chip is this?...

0.07" pin spacing sounds a bit like a chip used in an Eastern Bloc
country.  Eastern Bloc packaging for standard DIPS uses almost 1/10
inch (~0.254 mm) spacing.  Well almost, they rounded off to 0.25 mm
even.  Rather vexing if you want to find a socket for a Russian IC!
Looks just like a western part 'til you try to plug it in.  Makes
for interesting April 1 activities.

Bill
--
Bill Mayhew      NEOUCOM Computer Services Department
Rootstown, OH  44272-9995  USA    phone: 216-325-2511