[sci.electronics] What's the fastest TTL-compatible XOR gate available commercially ?

broscius@grad1.cis.upenn.edu (Al Broscius) (04/09/91)

Hi Folks,

	Does anyone know of any TTL-compatible XOR gates that beat the 74F86
in maximum propagation delay ??  The NatSemi F series databook lists a maximum
propagation delay of 7nS.

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks in advance
Al Broscius
broscius@cis.upenn.edu

broscius@dsl.cis.upenn.edu		signature stuff....

roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) (04/10/91)

In sci.electronics, Al Broscius <broscius@grad1.cis.upenn.edu> writes:

| Hi Folks,
|
| 	Does anyone know of any TTL-compatible XOR gates that beat the 74F86
| in maximum propagation delay ??  The NatSemi F series databook lists a maximum
| propagation delay of 7nS.

You could check out the 74AS86.  AS is typically slightly faster
than F (but you have to deal with the faster edge rates too).
My latest AS databook only shows typical prop. delays, no worst case,
so I don't know how fast they really are.

I didn't see any XOR gates in my AC/ACT databooks.

A brute-force approach would be to use a 5 ns PAL.
I think you can even get a 4.5 ns PAL from AMD,
since they've added a few more GND pins to the package.

Roger

In article <7380022@hpnmdla.hp.com> roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) writes:
>You could check out the 74AS86.  AS is typically slightly faster
>than F (but you have to deal with the faster edge rates too).
>My latest AS databook only shows typical prop. delays, no worst case,
>so I don't know how fast they really are.

The standard rule of thumb for TTL -- although applicability to AS is a
little unclear -- is that worst case over full range is twice typical.
(Beware:  the "max" numbers on old TTL data sheets are at 5.0000V and
25.0000degC, not over the full range.)  That gives AS no advantage over
F in this case.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

jjohnson@cs.ucf.edu (John Jjohnson) (04/13/91)

Your best bet is to consider the BiCMOS families which several companies
are now making. The chips typically use 0.8 micron CMOS for the logic and
blazing bipolar i/o pads. Fast stuff: I saw a '138 decoder with a 5ns delay
going up and 1ns coming down!

My data books are buried real deep, but you might call some reps/distribs:
   Texas Instruments - I believe their series is called BCT. (74BCT86?)
   National Semiconductor - ?
   Integrated Device Technology - FCT
   Saratoga Semiconductor -?
   Performance Semiconductor -?

Sorry for the lack of details.

One side note: If you are by any chance using the XOR gates to create
opposite phase clocks with minimum skew, there is a standard logic chip
made just for that (74xx???). Its outputs are guaranteed to change with
less than 1ns of skew. Someone else recently introduced a master clock
"spider and divider" for distributing clocks and fractions thereof...

E-mail me if you really want me to dig.
Mark J
jjohnson@eola.cs.ucf.edu