[sci.electronics] Caller ID info wanted

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) (04/12/91)

Reprinted (without permission) from the April, 1991
issue of Electronic Products, New Products announcements:

>CHIP IDENTIFIES PHONE NUMBERS

>The SC11210/211 Caller Identification Circuitis the first highly-integrated
>analog front end that supports the Caller Number Delivery feature in a general
>switched telephone network. It receives and decodes frequency shift key (FSK)
>modem signals -- sent through telephone lines between the first and second
>rings -- and allows the caller's number to be transmitted to a user's premises
>while the phone is on-hook.
>The device includes a differential-input buffer, a four-pole bandpass filter,
>a FSK demodulator, a user-selectable energy detect circuit, and a clock
>generator.  The SC11211 version provides support for the power-down and
>call-progress detect functions and has four energy detect levels. The
>SC11210/211 operates from a +5-V supply and is available in 8- and 14-pin
>packages. (About $2 each/10,000 --- available now.)

>Sierra Semiconductor Corp.
>San Jose, CA
>Michael Friedman  408-263-9300

So there!  That may even be enough information for you phone hardware hackers
to design from. I haven't called about the availability of sample quantities,
but Sierra should be open to individual sales, or may designate a distributor..
.

(Of course, I have no affiliation with Sierra Semi., etc, etc, etc...)

Dave      dbell@cup.portal.com

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) (04/13/91)

More data acquired on Caller Number Delivery:

The transmission occurs during the silent interval between
the first and second power ring signals, into an *ON HOOK*
line (no load, or >100k ohms). The signal is analog, phase-
coherent, frequency-shift keying, with a logic 1 (Mark) at
1200 +/- 12 Hz, and logic 0 (Space) at 2200 +/- 22 Hz. The
transmission rate is 1200 bps, data is serial, binary,
asynchronous. Level is -13.5 dBm into 900 ohms.

Looks a lot like a Bell 202 (1200 baud) half-duplex modem!

With the interface circuit providing the demodulated serial
signal, and a UART, you have the basic interface for Caller ID.

Or, eliminate the UART and shift the level to RS-232 voltages,
and input it directly to your PC. The encoding of the number
is not clear yet, but should be easy to determine by experiment.

Dave

sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca (Steve Pershing) (04/15/91)

dbell@cup.portal.com (David J Bell) writes:

> More data acquired on Caller Number Delivery:
>
> The transmission occurs during the silent interval between
> the first and second power ring signals, into an *ON HOOK*
> line (no load, or >100k ohms). The signal is analog, phase-
> coherent, frequency-shift keying, with a logic 1 (Mark) at
> 1200 +/- 12 Hz, and logic 0 (Space) at 2200 +/- 22 Hz. The
> transmission rate is 1200 bps, data is serial, binary,
> asynchronous. Level is -13.5 dBm into 900 ohms.
>
> Looks a lot like a Bell 202 (1200 baud) half-duplex modem!

I believe that Sierra Semiconductor have just announced a Caller-ID chip,
costing around $2.00 in 100 quantities.

 ---
    Steve Pershing, System Administrator

 : The QUESTOR Project: FREE Usenet News/Internet Mail; Sci, Med, AIDS, more :
 : Internet: sp@questor.wimsey.bc.ca     : POST: 1027 Davie Street,  Box 486 :
 : Phones:   Voice/FAX:  +1 604 682 6659 :       Vancouver, British Columbia :
 :           Data/BBS:   +1 604 681 0670 :       Canada  V6E 4L2             :