[sci.electronics] Archaeology of the Trailing Edge of Technology

ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) (04/13/91)

A friend of mine told me that someone got her PhD in archaeology from
Columbia University in the last two or three decades by writing a thesis
on the methods that were used to make vacuum tubes. This was written after
the invention of the transistor.

I would very much like to read this thesis and perhaps others like it.
If anyone knows how to obtain a copy, please let me know. I don't know
any details: the name of the author, the name of the thesis, the year of
the thesis, was it really Columbia, etc.

I would have posted this to soc.archaeology if there were such a group.

Allan Adler

haynes@felix.ucsc.edu (99700000) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr13.065406.24775@ms.uky.edu> ghot@ms.uky.edu (Allan Adler) writes:

>A friend of mine told me that someone got her PhD in archaeology from
>Columbia University in the last two or three decades by writing a thesis
>on the methods that were used to make vacuum tubes. This was written after
>the invention of the transistor.

This reminds me to put in a plug for the organization, "Friends of
Archaeology".  Our code is that before sending anything to the dump
we write a description of what it is and how it is used, in 3 languages,
encase it in a plastic bag, and attach to the article being discarded.