question :

Date: 15 Apr 91 14:52:36 GMT

Could anyone out there tell me where I might be able to buy or get info
regarding infra red remote control devices. Specifically, I need info on the
coded pulses that are sent.

I have tried to "see" the pulses by looking at the output of my remote
control on the oscilloscope but all I get are a series of little spikes.
This I would have assumed to be the coded pulses but I also found that
the waveform on the screen was the same amplitude and frequency no matter
what button I press on the IR Trx.

Any info at all would be greatly appreciated.

Frank.

Replies ...
From atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU Mon Apr 15 12:05:49 1991
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 10:04:52 -0700
From: atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Nishioka)
To: ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
Subject: Re: IR Remote Transmitter
Cc: atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU

First of all, IR is usually encoded on top of a 40khz carrier which is
probably what you are seeing.  Radio Shack sells a $4 module that decodes
the signal and outputs TTL.  It is a very popular receiver (on the net in
magazines....)

I've been working on making my amiga a universal IR xmitter and controling
devices with IR.  I have some references (from magazines, sci.electronics)
if you are interested (but they are not on this computer and must be uploaded)
From fisher@csd4.csd.uwm.edu Mon Apr 15 12:19:18 1991
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 12:19:04 -0500
To: ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
From: rick@ee.uwm.edu
Newsgroups: sci.electronics

In article <5494@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> you write:
>Could anyone out there tell me where I might be able to buy or get info
>regarding infra red remote control devices. Specifically, I need info on the

I believe that most IR remote controls  use bursts of 40kHz "tones" to
prevent interference by the flickering of other environmental light sources.
(They use a 40kHz tone detector, so tone-detected = on and tone-not = off.)
There's a 40kHz IR transmitter available at Radio Shack, I think...

From @RELAY.CS.NET,@tektronix.tek.com:gaulandm@tekig7.map.tek.com Mon Apr 15 18:09:24 1991
Date: Mon, 15 Apr 91 12:24:13 PDT
From: Mike Gauland <gaulandm%tekig7.map.tek.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
To: ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
Newsgroups: sci.electronics

In article <5494@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> you write:
>I have tried to "see" the pulses by looking at the output of my remote
>control on the oscilloscope but all I get are a series of little spikes.
>This I would have assumed to be the coded pulses but I also found that

Tek has a new instrument, the TVC-501 Time-to-Voltage Convertor, that
can help you analyze the pulses.  The instrument converts pulse width to
a proportional voltage, so your scope can show you how the width of the
pulses is changing with time.  You can actually see the code used for
each key, as a pattern of wide and narrow pulses.  We have an application
note that tells you how to do this; I'll send you a copy if you give
me your address.

--Mike
From ho@s10.csrd.uiuc.edu Tue Apr 16 09:54:02 1991
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 09:54:49 CDT
From: ho@csrd.uiuc.edu (Samuel W. Ho)
To: ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu (Francis Fang)

Well, the most common scheme is to start with a 40kHz pulse train,
and modulate the width of the pulse train.  This lets you do filtering
for 40kHz first thing, so that you don't get trouble with interference
from lights and such at 60Hz.

Sam Ho

From atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU Tue Apr 16 18:07:39 1991
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 91 16:06:31 -0700
From: atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU (Alan Nishioka)
To: ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
Cc: atn@cory.Berkeley.EDU

Sorry, I forgot just *who* we are trying to deal with...  I guess they
don't pay Radio Shack employees enough, so I shouldn't complain.

The receiver is an "IR Detector Module" RS part number 276-137 on page
123 of the 1991 catalog.  The price is $3.49 and it is usually on the
wall with the LEDs (which is usually near the ICs)

Some general references:

Computers and Electronics, Nov 1983, p.90 Forrest Mims talks IR joysticks
        (not using 40Khz)
Modern Electronics, Feb 1989, pp. 65-69 Mims talks about the Radio Shack
        receiver.
Popular Electronics, Apr 1990, pp.90-1, 102-3, Charles Rakes talks about FM
        circuits based on the 567 (ie. not 40Khz carrier)
Byte, Feb 1987, Build an Infrared Remote Controller, Steve Ciarcia
Byte, Mar 1987, Build a Trainable Infrared Master Controller, Steve Ciarcia
Modern Electronics, Oct 1990, Power On/Off Remote Controller

Apparently Circuit Cellar Ink, Steve Ciarcia's magazine has had IR projects.
I haven't seen the magazine.
From ptsfa!pacbell!dmturne@PacBell.COM Wed Apr 17 13:59:15 1991
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 91 11:59:02 PDT
From: ptsfa!pacbell!dmturne@ns.PacBell.COM
To: ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
Newsgroups: sci.electronics

In article <5494@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> you write:
>Could anyone out there tell me where I might be able to buy or get info
>regarding infra red remote control devices. Specifically, I need info on the
>coded pulses that are sent.
>
>I have tried to "see" the pulses by looking at the output of my remote
>control on the oscilloscope but all I get are a series of little spikes.
>This I would have assumed to be the coded pulses but I also found that
>the waveform on the screen was the same amplitude and frequency no matter
>what button I press on the IR Trx.
The best source is to get the schematic and repair information from the
manufacturer.

Many IR remotes use Pulse Position Modulation (PPM).

An old National Semiconductor databook tells one way this is done.

My RCA TV (I bought the schematics for their mailorder technical bookstore)
uses a slightly different method.

Both use a pulse or two at a start flag, followed by data pulses.

Each bit is defined by a 100 microsecond time period; a pulse within
this time is a logical one and the absense of a pulse is a logical zero.
From mbd@BRL.MIL Wed Apr 17 15:10:27 1991
Date:     Wed, 17 Apr 91 16:00:42 EDT
From: Mike Danish (VLD/GSB) <mbd@BRL.MIL>
To: ffang@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu
Subject:  reply

I have a friend who is in the TV repair business (I am too, part time).
He worked and worked and worked on a project to electronically detect
the IR signals from various remotes (the easy part circuit-wise) and
then using a machine language program on an IBM clone, convert the
IR signals to an oscilloscope-like display on the computer screen.  He
recently succeeded but at this point doesn't want to give out specifics
since he's considering perhaps marketing such a device/program to
persons in the repair business.  It is quite fast and allows comparsion
between suspected hand units and known good signals.  Byte magazine
had a couple of articles on IR two or three years back.

I'll let you know the details if they become available.

                                   Mike Danish

Thanks once more to all those who contributed info.

Francis C Fang.