[sci.electronics] IR receiver on traffic lights ?

youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) (04/12/91)

The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
infra-red light ?  If it is infra-red how can they work in the day-time?
Doesn't the sun put out infra-red that would interfere ?

Dean Youngquist                 youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Tel. (503) 757-0335

fval_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu (Trey Valenta) (04/12/91)

In <1991Apr11.211957.7309@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:

>The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
>their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
>know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
>infra-red light ?  If it is infra-red how can they work in the day-time?
>Doesn't the sun put out infra-red that would interfere ?

I don't know about how the lights are changed, (I'd think radio) but as for
the sun's inteference, what one can do is put a filter that allows only IR
to pass through, and the light from a transmitter is many times more
powerful that what's put out by the sun.

trey valenta
fval_ltd@uhura.cc.rochester.edu

bc338569@longs.LANCE.ColoState.Edu (Brian Catlin) (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.211957.7309@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:
>The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
>their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
>know how they do this?

Here they use radar detectors mounted on the wire or pole that the stoplights
are on.  There are two sets per intersection.  One points North and South while
the other one points East and West.  Fire trucks and police can both trip these
but the computer sometimes screws up and turns all four directions green!
This can be quite confusing :-)

If you see radar guns mounted on the fire trucks then that's how they probably
do it.  Police just have to point their guns up so that there is a straight
path to the detectors when they want to change the lights quickly.  This is
done very infrequently since it confuses the computers so much.

Hope this helps!

B. J. Catlin

bc338569@longs.lance.colostate.edu

moroney@ramblr.enet.dec.com (04/12/91)

In article <1991Apr11.211957.7309@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>, youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes...
>The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
>their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
>know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
>infra-red light ?  If it is infra-red how can they work in the day-time?
>Doesn't the sun put out infra-red that would interfere ?

Some systems have a photoelectric sensor aimed at the traffic lanes and a phase
locked loop circuit that is synchronized to the flashing emergency lights on
the emergency vehicles. When the PLL detects the flashing lights in a certain
direction, it turns the light green in that direction.

Other lights may use radio triggers, or (especially those right near fire/police
stations) controlled right from the station.

-Mike

sony@buhub.bradley.edu (David Lennie) (04/12/91)

In <1991Apr12.042157.6685@engage.enet.dec.com> moroney@ramblr.enet.dec.com writes:

>Some systems have a photoelectric sensor aimed at the traffic lanes and a phase
>locked loop circuit that is synchronized to the flashing emergency lights on
>the emergency vehicles. When the PLL detects the flashing lights in a certain
>direction, it turns the light green in that direction.

Wouldn't this also detect the flashing lights on construction vehicles
or tow trucks?

Does the sensor simply pick up the presence of any flashing light or
does it confirm that it is actually a police or fire vehicle by
measuring frequency of flashes or something similar?  If it does
measure the frequency, wouldn't it be susceptible to error due to
slight variances in the flash frequency caused by low or high battery
voltage in the vehicle?

I am intrigued (obviously).  Explain furthur.

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) (04/12/91)

The "Opticon" sensors in use throughout San Diego County for traffic
light control by emergency vehicles use a photocell in a focusing
assembly that's pointed down the road.  They ignore changes in ambient
light levels and look for flash rates of either 10 or 16 hz, which the
bus or emergency vehicle generates with a very bright xenon strobelight.

The two different rates are used for different purposes - one is for
emergency vehicles and causes the lights to go green in that direction
and red in all others.  The other flash rate is designed for use by
transit buses and simply extends the green cycle so that the bus won't
have to stop suddenly if the light changes.  To my knowledge, the
second isn't actually being used around here.
	- Brian

tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) (04/12/91)

youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:

>The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
>their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
>know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
>infra-red light ?  If it is infra-red how can they work in the day-time?
>Doesn't the sun put out infra-red that would interfere ?

Systems I've seen used pulsed light; it's easy to look for the AC
component at a particular frequency.  It's also pretty easy to filter
the receiver so it's looking at the wavelength of peak emission of the
transmitter.  The receivers tend to be pretty directional, too:  aren't
they in pipes perhaps 1" diameter and 6" long?

I was always annoyed that empty, "out of service" busses in Santa Clara
county would trip the light and hold up long lines of left-turning
cars for another cycle of the lights.  Busses there used them more
than emergency vehicles!

johne@hp-vcd.HP.COM (John Eaton) (04/12/91)

<<
< The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
< their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
< know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
< Dean Youngquist                 youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
< Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Tel. (503) 757-0335
----------
If you examine the stop lights you will see a small "probe" that points
towards oncoming traffic. This probe detect the emergency lights and
switches the light green in that direction. The key light is not the
normal red flashers but rather a single Xenon strobe light that all
emergency vechicles in the town have mounted in front. (And you thought
that was there to get YOUR attention?). I figured this out one day when
I was waiting for a left turn signal (On ninth street in Corvallis), when
an ambulance approached the light with ONLY the strobe light flashing.
The light gave that direction immediate clearance. I suspect that it keys
in on a certain rep rate for a flashing light.

John Eaton
!hp-vcd!johne

lrk@k5qwb.lonestar.org (Lyn R. Kennedy) (04/13/91)

youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:

> The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
> their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
> know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
> infra-red light ?  If it is infra-red how can they work in the day-time?
> Doesn't the sun put out infra-red that would interfere ?
>
> Dean Youngquist                 youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
> Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Tel. (503) 757-0335

One system that works uses a strobe light on the vehicle. This can
be easily seen among the other lights. The traffic signal also has
a detector up near the middle of the intersection for each
direction. I've heard Dallas is experimenting with a system that
uses radio in the 800 Mhz range but it's small scale and on the
other side of town so I haven't had much time to check it out.

                 lrk@k5qwb.lonestar.org        lrk@k5qwb.UUCP
73,              utacfd.utarl.edu!letni!rwsys!kf5iw!k5qwb!lrk
Lyn Kennedy      K5QWB @ N5LDD.#NTX.TX.US.NA
                 P.O. Box 5133, Ovilla, TX, USA 75154

-------- "We have met the enemy and they are us."  Pogo -----------------

wcollin@relay.nswc.navy.mil (William Dave Collins - E41) (04/13/91)

Same thing I was told by a firefighter in Fredericksburg, Va.
The only one is located about a block away from a new station.
It is on one of the busiest highways in the town. The FF stated
that it responded to the rep rate of the strobe. In fact he said that
one day during check out of the equipment he noticed every car stopped
at the intersection a block away! He then realized he had the strobe running!!
It would be nice if the city would put up more of these, especially on the
main routes to the hospital so that us volunteer ambulance squads can
navigate easier.
David
Wm David Collins	BSEE, EMT-Cardiac, ACLS, expired KA4ZHQ
Naval Surface Warfare Center
Code E-41, Networks Branch
Dahlgren, VA   22448
W(703) 663-7744, H(703) 775-3292
DDN mail: wcollin@relay.nswc.navy.mil

moroney@ramblr.enet.dec.com (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.063837.7120@bradley.bradley.edu>, sony@buhub.bradley.edu (David Lennie) writes...
>In <1991Apr12.042157.6685@engage.enet.dec.com> moroney@ramblr.enet.dec.com writes:
>
>>Some systems have a photoelectric sensor aimed at the traffic lanes and a phase
>>locked loop circuit that is synchronized to the flashing emergency lights on
>>the emergency vehicles. When the PLL detects the flashing lights in a certain
>>direction, it turns the light green in that direction.
>
>Wouldn't this also detect the flashing lights on construction vehicles
>or tow trucks?
>
>Does the sensor simply pick up the presence of any flashing light or
>does it confirm that it is actually a police or fire vehicle by
>measuring frequency of flashes or something similar?  If it does
>measure the frequency, wouldn't it be susceptible to error due to
>slight variances in the flash frequency caused by low or high battery
>voltage in the vehicle?
>
>I am intrigued (obviously).  Explain furthur.

Most police and firetrucks nowadays have electronic flashers instead of the
old style light-with-rotating-mirror they had several years ago.  The tow
trucks, etc. still use the old style (cheaper).  The newer flashers are
timed electronically, often with a somewhat complex pattern, and the timing
isn't dependent on the battery voltage (as long as it's strong enough to run
the apparatus)  The timing on the sensor must be coordinated with the timing
of the emergency lights, so random tow trucks don't set them off while the
police cars/firetrucks do.

Even if the tow trucks occasionally trip it, no bug deal (as long as the driver
doesn't learn this and start abusing this knowledge)

-Mike

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.211957.7309@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU>,
 youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:
> The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
> their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
> know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
> infra-red light ?  If it is infra-red how can they work in the day-time?
> Doesn't the sun put out infra-red that would interfere ?

Around here the system (called, I think, "Opticom", one of the less-inventive
names I've heard lately) uses visible light.   A large strobe light atop the
fire truck (or paramedic vehicle), running at a fast, but visible, flicker
rate, does the job.  Yes, the sun and lots of other things put out visible
light also, but

	(a) the pickup unit is not just a CdS cell open to the air; it
	includes a telescope-like arrangement of lenses (it actually looks
	like a little telescope, attached to one of the regular R-Y-G traffic
	light assemblies) so that the pickup area is fairly limited, and

	(b) not very many things (certainly not the sun) put out anything
	that looks like a strobe at 10 or 15 (or whatever) pps.

It is amazing how well a signal can be picked out of noise, provided you know
the exact characteristics of the signal in question.  In this case, a simple DC
blocking cap will get rid of most of the ambient light, and then it's pretty
easy to filter for a steep-sided narrow pulse waveform at whatever the right
freq is.

At night the pickup will "see" 60 Hz hum from the street lighting, but that's
easy to filter out too.

Consider how bad static from a poorly-wired car can be in an AM radio, and
you'll have some idea how easy it is to "see" a strobe light, even against a
brighter background.  Since spike waveforms have harmonics that (theoretically)
go all the way up the spectrum, they might be able to get away with looking for
one, or just a few, of the higher-order harmonics.

The first units installed here (15 years ago or so) had PAR floodlamps
attached, pointing down the street in each direction from which the
intersection could be controlled.  Once the strobe had command of the
intersection, the appropriate lamp would be turned on to let the driver know
that the intersection was indeed controlled and that the green light wouldn't
suddenly turn yellow.  Later units lack this; apparently the system works so
well that they don't need this confirmation.

Next time you see a fire truck go by, look at the array of flashing lights
and see if there isn't a big (8" diameter reflector or so) strobe among them.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan (x1116), Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMS Internals Working Group, U.S. DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@dcs.simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr11.211957.7309@lynx.CS.ORST.EDU> youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu (Dean Youngquist) writes:
>The fire trucks in my town seem to trip traffic lights to green in
>their direction as they are approaching the intersection.  Does anyone
>know how they do this?  I thought they might have a system using
>infra-red light ?  If it is infra-red how can they work in the day-time?
>Doesn't the sun put out infra-red that would interfere ?
>
>Dean Youngquist                 youngqd@jacobs.cs.orst.edu
>Corvallis, Oregon 97330         Tel. (503) 757-0335

I have been on departments in the past that use a system like that.  The
most common is one called Opticom.  This system uses basically strobe
lights to trip the signals.  It is usually a single strobe mounted on the
centerline of the vehicle although it is sometimes integrated into the
light bar.  The strobe flashes a pattern at a specified frequency to trip
the lights.

Chris

Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1
Computing Service Center			ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (04/13/91)

In article <1991Apr12.063837.7120@bradley.bradley.edu> sony@buhub.bradley.edu (David Lennie) writes:
>In <1991Apr12.042157.6685@engage.enet.dec.com> moroney@ramblr.enet.dec.com writes:
>
>>Some systems have a photoelectric sensor aimed at the traffic lanes and a phase
>>locked loop circuit that is synchronized to the flashing emergency lights on
>>the emergency vehicles. When the PLL detects the flashing lights in a certain
>>direction, it turns the light green in that direction.
>
>Wouldn't this also detect the flashing lights on construction vehicles
>or tow trucks?
>
>Does the sensor simply pick up the presence of any flashing light or
>does it confirm that it is actually a police or fire vehicle by
>measuring frequency of flashes or something similar?  If it does
>measure the frequency, wouldn't it be susceptible to error due to
>slight variances in the flash frequency caused by low or high battery
>voltage in the vehicle?
>
>I am intrigued (obviously).  Explain furthur.

The ones I have seen detect a frequency range as well as pattern.  It is
usually not just the strobes in the light bar but a special strobe designed
for this purpose.  (This is an option on most new EVs.

Chris

--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1
Computing Service Center			ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu
Computing Resources Laboratory			76701.154@compuserve.com

jre@sactoh0.sac.ca.us (Jim Earl) (04/13/91)

In my town, there are devices mounted on the traffic signals that
contain a sensor that picks up the rapid white flashing
hi-intensity strobe lights that are mounted on the local fire
trucks.  They work from up to a 1/2 mile away, even during the
daytime.  The flashing has to be a specific frequency (very fast, I
don't know the exact frequency, probably around 5 flashes per
second), and of course, very bright.  The fire chief is a buddy of
mine, that is how I know.

--
Jim Earl - KB6KCP / home: (916) 729-6825 work: (916) 929-0300 x233
INTERNET: jre@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US

gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) (04/13/91)

In article <5170128@hplsla.HP.COM> tomb@hplsla.HP.COM (Tom Bruhns) writes:
>transmitter.  The receivers tend to be pretty directional, too:  aren't
>they in pipes perhaps 1" diameter and 6" long?

I've seen this too.  What doesn't make sense is that I'd think the truck would
have to be in a particular lane to get the thing to trigger.  And,
emergency vehicles take the "best route", right?  Hmm...

  Who:  Greg Bell                            Address:  gbell@ucsd.edu
 What:  EE hobbyist and major                  Where:  UC San Diego

khan@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (04/14/91)

brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:

>The "Opticon" sensors in use throughout San Diego County for traffic
>light control by emergency vehicles use a photocell in a focusing
>assembly that's pointed down the road.  They ignore changes in ambient
>light levels and look for flash rates of either 10 or 16 hz, which the
>bus or emergency vehicle generates with a very bright xenon strobelight.

Hmm... Sounds to me like a few parts from Radio Shaft will get you a sure-
fire way to minimize the dreaded morning commute! ;-)

--
Scott Coleman                                                    tmkk@uiuc.edu

"If a software computer consultant believes her gonads are ruled by the moon,
then none of us is safe."     - Karla Jennings

roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) (04/15/91)

Re: home brew traffic light triggerer

Generating an 800 MHz signal sure sounds easier than generating a 10
to 16 Hz high power strobe (unless a funky digital code is required).
And 800 MHz is also a lot less conspicuous than a flashing strobe.

Sounds like a new market for the radar detector manufacturers...

People might start to notice, however: "Hey, how come the lights always
turn green for Bob, but not me?"   (Visions of the Nissan "Bob" commercial.)

Roger "Don't try this at home, kids!"

aalonzo@eagle.wesleyan.edu (04/15/91)

>>Some systems have a photoelectric sensor aimed at the traffic lanes and a phase
>>locked loop circuit that is synchronized to the flashing emergency lights on
>>the emergency vehicles. When the PLL detects the flashing lights in a certain
>>direction, it turns the light green in that direction.
>
> Wouldn't this also detect the flashing lights on construction vehicles
> or tow trucks?
>
> Does the sensor simply pick up the presence of any flashing light or
> does it confirm that it is actually a police or fire vehicle by
> measuring frequency of flashes or something similar?  If it does
> measure the frequency, wouldn't it be susceptible to error due to
> slight variances in the flash frequency caused by low or high battery
> voltage in the vehicle?

I worked for a while in the engineering department at Whelen Engineering, a
large manufacturer of warning & strobe lights for emergency vehicles.  They
made a special white, directional, rapid flashing strobe light that would
trigger recievers at intersections.  The
system  I believe was developed by Xerox?.  What it consisted of was
a rapid flashing strobe light (200 - 300 flashes per minute) aimed at the
intersection.  A reciever at the intersection decoded the high flash rate and
turned the proper signal green to allow passage of the emergency vehicle.  The
flash rate of the strobe on the firetruck could be maintained pretty stable
(+/- 3 FPM), and was directional and aimed at the stop lights.

It would be pretty unlikely that the random flashes of a tow truck, etc. would
match the trigger frequency for the sample period required to turm the light
green.  I hope this sheds some light on the subject....)

Allen Alonzo
Computer Service Supervisor
Wesleyan University
AALONZO@EAGLE.WESLEYAN.EDU

jeh@dcs.simpact.com (04/16/91)

In article <khan.671567418@mrcnext>, khan@mrcnext.uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman)
 writes:
> brian@ucsd.Edu (Brian Kantor) writes:
>
>>The "Opticon" sensors in use throughout San Diego County for traffic
>>light control by emergency vehicles use a photocell in a focusing
>>assembly that's pointed down the road.  They ignore changes in ambient
>>light levels and look for flash rates of either 10 or 16 hz, which the
>>bus or emergency vehicle generates with a very bright xenon strobelight.
>
> Hmm... Sounds to me like a few parts from Radio Shaft will get you a sure-
> fire way to minimize the dreaded morning commute! ;-)
  ^^^^
was this pun intentional??

A buddy of mine (in the LA area, where the same system is used) once decided to
try this.  The foundation for the project was a Sears automotive timing light
with inductive pickup.  This got him the strobe, housing, and a condensing
lens.  A normal timing light only fires when triggered by a signal from the #1
spark plug.  He added a simple 555-based timer to do the triggering, a pot to
adjust the frequency, and a switch, all mounted inside the timing light case.
The power-lead clips, intended for attachment to the car battery terminals,
were removed and replaced with a lighter-socket plug.  The switch disconnected
the 555 circuit and allowed the unit to be used for its originally-intended
function.

It turns out that the standard condensing lens in the timing light (intended
for directing the strobe output onto a small area no more than a foot or so
away) was nowhere near good enough to do the job.  He experimented with various
optics (C&H Sales in Pasadena, with its warehouse full of govt. surplus optics,
being somewhat nearby) and actually got the thing to work, after a fashion.

Trouble was, the aiming was very finicky, and the Opticon (Opticom?) pickup
unit apparently needs to see the required flash-frequency for several seconds.
He had envisioned being able to reach into the back seat, pull out this huge
chrome-plated buck-rogers-raygun-looking THING, squeeze off a shot at the
traffic light, and be done with it; reality was much less emotionally
satisfying.

He still uses the unit as a timing light, and just smiles when asked what that
extra knob is for.

tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) (04/18/91)

In article <7380024@hpnmdla.hp.com> roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) writes:

>Re: home brew traffic light triggerer
>
>Sounds like a new market for the radar detector manufacturers...
>
>People might start to notice, however: "Hey, how come the lights always
>turn green for Bob, but not me?"   (Visions of the Nissan "Bob" commercial.)

I just heard that these devices turn all the signals at the intersection
RED, thus bringing all traffic to a halt (except for the official
emergency vehicle, which of course can go through red lights).

So much for that great new market for Cincinnati Microwave. :-(

bender@oobleck.Eng.Sun.COM (I want to be eating rich soup in another town) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.181300.16991@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) writes:
->In article <7380024@hpnmdla.hp.com> roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) writes:
->>
->>Re: home brew traffic light triggerer
->>
->>Sounds like a new market for the radar detector manufacturers...
->>
->>People might start to notice, however: "Hey, how come the lights always
->>turn green for Bob, but not me?"   (Visions of the Nissan "Bob" commercial.)
->
->I just heard that these devices turn all the signals at the intersection
->RED, thus bringing all traffic to a halt (except for the official
->emergency vehicle, which of course can go through red lights).

well, you could still have some fun with it!

mike
--
Won't look like rain,           Won't look like snow,            | DOD #000007
Won't look like fog,            That's all we know!              | AMA #511250

murray@sun13.scri.fsu.edu (John Murray) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.181300.16991@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) writes:

>I just heard that these devices turn all the signals at the intersection
>RED, thus bringing all traffic to a halt (except for the official
>emergency vehicle, which of course can go through red lights).

All depends on how your local boys have set them up. They used to use a
system like this in Miami on the Metro buses, turning the lights green
ahead of them to keep them moving faster.

Of course, your city's milage may vary.

--
*Standard Disclaimers Apply*|        ---Get Out Of HELL Free!---
John R. Murray              |The bearer of this card is entitled to forgive

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (04/18/91)

In article <18277@sdcc6.ucsd.edu> gbell@sdcc13.ucsd.edu (Greg Bell) writes:

>I've seen this too.  What doesn't make sense is that I'd think the truck would
>have to be in a particular lane to get the thing to trigger.  And,
>emergency vehicles take the "best route", right?  Hmm...

Actually they don't.  According to EVAP (Emergency Vehicle Accident
Prevention) manuals all emergency vehicles should stay in the left lane at
all time to prevent drivers from pulling over, right into your truck.
Consequently if I come to an 4 lane intersection in the left lane and there
is a car blocking the leftmost lane I will pass this car in the oncoming
lane as opposed to the right.

Chris

--

In article <1991Apr15.090530.41753@eagle.wesleyan.edu> aalonzo@eagle.wesleyan.edu writes:

>I worked for a while in the engineering department at Whelen Engineering, a

I am glad you don't any longer.  We have finally given up on Whelen for
most of our needs.  We purchased an integrated light bar control/siren from
them that can't be heard 10 feet away inside a car.  We have had it
replaced twice and are now removing it for a Federal.
--
Chris Kinsman  					KINSMAN@WSUVM1
Washington State University			22487863@WSUVM1
Computing Service Center			ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu
Computing Resources Laboratory			76701.154@compuserve.com

ckinsman@yoda.eecs.wsu.edu (Chris Kinsman) (04/18/91)

In article <1991Apr17.181300.16991@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> tmkk@uiuc.edu (Scott Coleman) writes:

>In article <7380024@hpnmdla.hp.com> roger@hpnmdla.hp.com (Roger Petersen) writes:
>>
>>Re: home brew traffic light triggerer
>>
>>Sounds like a new market for the radar detector manufacturers...
>>
>>People might start to notice, however: "Hey, how come the lights always
>>turn green for Bob, but not me?"   (Visions of the Nissan "Bob" commercial.)
>
>I just heard that these devices turn all the signals at the intersection
>RED, thus bringing all traffic to a halt (except for the official
>emergency vehicle, which of course can go through red lights).
>
>So much for that great new market for Cincinnati Microwave. :-(

It actually depends on how the system is programmed.  I have seen Opticom
systems by 3M that can do both.

Chris