[sci.electronics] DSP project

schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) (04/17/91)

On a related (well, sort of) note, regarding Electronic Guitar Tuning,
that was precicely what our first Electronic Design project was this quarter.

And let me tell you, that it is mucho difficult to quantify a vibrating
guitar string without resorting to DSP technology (we were using strict
analog).

It was basically a mic, and amp, a filter to get rid of hi-freq garbage,
and then the most futile attempt at a half-a-dozen methods to get a good
signal to send to a freq-voltage converter (to determine if a string is
in tune or not).

Depending on 1) how the string was plucked, 2) where it was plucked,
3) how hard it was plucked, 4) how in-tune it already was,  and 5) the
phase of the moon, we got different results. Harmonics were popping in
and out of the signal as the string amplitude diminished, and I can under-
stand 1), 2) and 3) for this cause.

Most surprizing was 4): Apparently there are natural harmonic resonating
frequencies of the body of the guitar which heighten or dampen various
harmonics. It also changed depending on how I dampened the vibration of
the guitar with my body.

All in all, a very frustrating project!  Now to write up the report and explain
why it didn't work 100%....

			Steven Christensen
			Univ. of Cincinnati

--
Steven V. Christensen
U.C. College of Eng.

asd@cbnewsj.att.com (Adam S. Denton) (04/18/91)

In article <8078@uceng.UC.EDU> schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:
>And let me tell you, that it is mucho difficult to quantify a vibrating
>guitar string without resorting to DSP technology (we were using strict
>analog).

I bet you 100 capacitors of your choice that you didn't try a phase-locked
loop, or did not try one correctly.  A PLL, properly designed, will
do EXACTLY what you want, and do extremely well.  You toss the raw
harmonic-infested string sound to the input, and out comes a nice,
clean fundamental square/triangle/whatever wave to go to your F2V.
The PLL can also do F2V but is typically not as accurate as a circuit
designed specifically for that purpose.

>It was basically a mic, and amp, a filter to get rid of hi-freq garbage,
>and then the most futile attempt at a half-a-dozen methods to get a good
>signal to send to a freq-voltage converter (to determine if a string is
>in tune or not).

If you insert a properly-designed PLL in between, you'll succeed.  Trust me.
Begin with the (LM, uA, NE, ...) 565 data sheet and associated application
notes.  Signetics has about a zillion (+/- a few) of them on the 565.

Adam Denton
asd@mtqua.att.com

joeld@hpnmdla.hp.com (Joel Dunsmore) (04/18/91)

In sci.electronics, schriste@uceng.UC.EDU (Steven V. Christensen) writes:

>All in all, a very frustrating project!  Now to write up the report and explain
>   why it didn't work 100%....

>   			Steven Christensen

Two comments:

1) Welcome to the real world - (most of what EE's do is fiqure out why things
don't work).  Sounds like a good project (I always hated those kind in school,
too!)

2)  No problem writing it up... Just figure out why it didn't work.  If you
can do this well, it makes a great story to tell a campus interviewer, if
you decide to make a career out of this.