[sci.electronics] Pressure sensitive plastic

bellutta@ai.mit.edu (Paolo Bellutta) (04/17/91)

I need to find the makers of those pressure sensitive sandwiches which
are
used for example in drum machines. This sandwich should have a layer
of
semiconductive plastic on a conductive layer and between them is a
plastic
insulator, then when pressure is applied, it is possible to measure
the
position, and possibly the applied pressure. The use would be as
person
counter, under a carpet. Do any one of you know of such kind of
product?
Any pointer to this is welcome.

Please reply via e-mail.

Paolo Bellutta
I.R.S.T.                vox:    +39 461 814417
loc. Pante' di Povo     fax:    +39 461 810851
38050 POVO (TN)         e-mail: bellutta@irst.it
ITALY                           bellutta@irst.uucp

smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith) (04/18/91)

In article <14978@life.ai.mit.edu>,
	bellutta@ai.mit.edu (Paolo Bellutta) writes...
>I need to find the makers of those pressure sensitive sandwiches which

I can't reply by Email, as you didn't provide an Internet adress, but I got
a sample of a pressure sensitive resistor the other day from a company
called:

	Interlink Electronics
	PO Box 40760
	Santa Barbara, CA 93013
	(805) 684-2100
	Fax (805) 684-8282

The sample is rather interesting, it's a 3/4-inch square pressure sensitive
resistor bonded into a flex circuit and printed up to resemble a business
card!  Works rather well too...  There is an Interlink in Europe somewhere,
but that information isn't on the card.

Willie Smith
smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com
smith%sndpit.enet.dec.com@decwrl.dec.com
{Usenet!Backbone}!decwrl!sndpit.enet.dec.com!smith

lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) (04/18/91)

I'm looking for a touch sensitive overlay for an LCD.  A multi-point
pressure sensitive plastic sheet sounds perfect.  I had thought about
buying an UnMouse and taking it apart, but I'd rather buy something
closer to the size I need.  (I don't know exactly what size that is
yet - 4x6"?)

Thanks for any pointers!

--kyler

jeff@hpuplca.nsr.hp.com ( Jeff Gruszynski ) (04/18/91)

/ hpuplca:sci.electronics / bellutta@ai.mit.edu (Paolo Bellutta) /  8:22 am  Apr 17, 1991 /
> I need to find the makers of those pressure sensitive sandwiches which are
> used for example in drum machines. This sandwich should have a layer of
> semiconductive plastic on a conductive layer and between them is a plastic
> insulator, then when pressure is applied, it is possible to measure the
> position, and possibly the applied pressure. The use would be as person
> counter, under a carpet. Do any one of you know of such kind of product?
> Any pointer to this is welcome.
>
> Please reply via e-mail.
>
> Paolo Bellutta
> I.R.S.T.                vox:    +39 461 814417
> loc. Pante' di Povo     fax:    +39 461 810851
> 38050 POVO (TN)         e-mail: bellutta@irst.it
> ITALY                           bellutta@irst.uucp
> ----------

	It's called Kynar (tm) and it's made by Penwalt Corp.

Jeff Gruszynski
Santa Clara Sales
Hewlett Packard Corporation

wli@fornax.UUCP (William Li) (04/18/91)

In article <14978@life.ai.mit.edu>, bellutta@ai.mit.edu (Paolo Bellutta) writes:
> I need to find the makers of those pressure sensitive sandwiches which are
> used for example in drum machines. This sandwich should have a layer of
> semiconductive plastic on a conductive layer and between them is a plastic
> insulator, then when pressure is applied, it is possible to measure the
> position, and possibly the applied pressure. The use would be as a person
> counter, under a carpet. Do any one of you know of such kind of product?

Offhand, I can think of a couple of different products.  One is Kynar's
piezoelectric film, based on TPFE.  Kynar is based out of Pennsylvania
in the U.S.  Unfortunately, I've lost their address (sorry!).
Interlink (Montecito California, (805) 684-2100) is based around a
pressure-sensitive resistor product.  By putting intermeshing
silver fingers on top of a sheet of the pressure-sensitive resistor,
one can get linear position.  Two crossed linear potentiometers,
as they're called, give an "XYZ pad".

The question, though, is how big of an area you want to rig up.
Interlink's stock product XYZ pads hover around 4"x4".  How much sensitivity
do you need in your positions?  You might be able to get away with
rigging up a regularly-spaced grid of strain gauges (I believe Omega
makes a line of strain gauges).

- William Li
School of Engineering Science
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby BC  Canada V5A 1S6
Tel: (604) 291-4451
Fax: (604) 291-4951

smith@sndpit.enet.dec.com (Willie Smith) (04/18/91)

In article <10674@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, lairdkb@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Kyler Laird) writes...
>I'm looking for a touch sensitive overlay for an LCD.  A multi-point
>pressure sensitive plastic sheet sounds perfect.

Again, talk to Interlink Electronics (see my previous note, I don't have
contact info here), they even make X-Y-Z arrays, as their pressure
sensitive resistor gives you the magnitude of the applied force.  Or are
you looking for a clear touch-screen overlay?