[sci.electronics] Database on ICs and so on available?

ob@obh.in-berlin.de (Oliver Brandmueller) (04/14/91)

Hello world,

what I want to know is, if there exists any database on ICs. That
should be like the masses of old-fashioned paperware called "data-
books", where all data of an IC are listed.
If there exists nothing like that, I'm interested in collecting
data and provide mail-database-services. Who's interested, too?
Who has some ideas about it?

Bye, Olli
  /ob@obh.in-berlin.de   (Oliver Brandmueller) /bbs:+49 30/853 65 44/
 /Detmolder Str. 64a - Tel.: +49 30 853 69 80 /   write 'n enjoy!  /

chik@eecg.toronto.edu (Raymond Chik) (04/15/91)

In article <7738877@obh.in-berlin.de> ob@obh.in-berlin.de (Oliver Brandmueller) writes:
>Hello world,
>
>what I want to know is, if there exists any database on ICs. That
>should be like the masses of old-fashioned paperware called "data-
>books", where all data of an IC are listed.
>If there exists nothing like that, I'm interested in collecting
>data and provide mail-database-services. Who's interested, too?
>Who has some ideas about it?
>
>Bye, Olli

	I'm interested in it too. No idea if there's something
like that exists though......

* May the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
*         Raymond Y. V. Chik	           |_           \           _|   *
*         VLSI Research Grp.                 ||      --------     ||     *
*         Dept. of Elec. Eng.               _||o-+   | -+-+-   +-o||_    *
*         U. of Toronto                    |     |   |  +-+    |     |   *
*                                          |_    |   |  _|_    |    _|   *
*Internet:    chik@eecg.toronto.edu          ||--+   | | | |   +--||     *
*	      chik@vrg.toronto.edu	    _||     /  | | |	  ||_    *
*      8-)      >-(      |-<       %->	   |	         |           |   *

rainer@boulder.Colorado.EDU (Rainer Malzbender) (04/15/91)

The latest issue of Electronic Products has an ad by a company called
Information Handling Services for an IC/Discrete CD-ROM database
containing 1.2 million devices, supposedly including viewable datasheets.
I have no experience with this product, just passing along what I saw.

	Information Handling Services
	15 Inverness Way East
	Englewood, CO 80150

	Demo disk: 800-241-7824
	Fax: 303-799-4085

Now if only someone had this on anon ftp with an X graphics server ...
--
Rainer Malzbender                      Beware the ides of April!
Dept. of Physics (303)492-6829

dwaddell@pyrman2.pyramid.com (David Waddell) (04/16/91)

I noticed that some people are looking into a source databse for IC's
and/or discreets. There is already something available.

CAPS- Computer Aided Product Selection
Cahners Technical Information Service Division

The above system has 400 manufacturers of IC's in it's data base.
It includes data sheets too.

They are based in New England I think.

In San Jose call (408) 243-8838 or (408) 345-4441

cormack@sequent.UUCP (Mike Cormack) (04/16/91)

In article <1991Apr14.160222.2780@jarvis.csri.toronto.edu> chik@eecg.toronto.edu (Raymond Chik) writes:
>In article <7738877@obh.in-berlin.de> ob@obh.in-berlin.de (Oliver Brandmueller) writes:
>>Hello world,
>>
>>what I want to know is, if there exists any database on ICs. That
>>should be like the masses of old-fashioned paperware called "data-
>>books", where all data of an IC are listed.
>>If there exists nothing like that, I'm interested in collecting
>>data and provide mail-database-services. Who's interested, too?
>>Who has some ideas about it?
>>
>>Bye, Olli

There are commercial products available. IHS makes a CD-ROM based
system which operates (as a standalone right now) from a PC. It is
read only. I think cost is less than $50K, but don't quote me....

Cahners Publishing has a system but I'm not familiar with it.  See EDN
magazines for an advertisment.

ASPEC has a system which is UNIX based and is multiuser plus you can
import the datasheets into a document. It's pretty good although a
bit spendy (if you have to ask, you can't afford it....:')

mike

>       I'm interested in it too. No idea if there's something
>like that exists though......

>* May the force be with you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*
>*         Raymond Y. V. Chik	           |_           \           _|   *
>*         VLSI Research Grp.                 ||      --------     ||     *
>*         Dept. of Elec. Eng.               _||o-+   | -+-+-   +-o||_    *
>*         U. of Toronto                    |     |   |  +-+    |     |   *
>*                                          |_    |   |  _|_    |    _|   *
>*Internet:    chik@eecg.toronto.edu          ||--+   | | | |   +--||     *
>*	      chik@vrg.toronto.edu	    _||     /  | | |	  ||_    *
>*      8-)      >-(      |-<       %->	   |	         |           |   *

tobis@meteor.wisc.edu (Michael Tobis) (04/19/91)

Back in the unlamented days when I worked in a commercial setting (ca. 5
yrs ago) we subscribed to a service called Videolog (or video dog, as we
affectionately called it) which purported to provide this service, as
well as NAPLPS videotex of pinouts & timing diagrams, although the latter
were invariably missing at the time. Haven't heard from them lately &
don't know if they are still in business.

As I recall, it turned out to have limited utility. Consider searching for
a nonstandard part, on the basis of the approximate function you need. Clearly
you don't know its part number or manufacturer. Typically, you can think of a
dozen ways to describe the thing. However, if you knew what it was actually
called, you'd probably know who made it. Keyword searches invariably turned
into blind alleys.

Asking around until you find someone who knows is still the only method I
can think of to reliably find what you need.

Just the same, one wishes there were a unified source, rather than the
current system of trying to keep on every manufacturer's mailing list.

But a CD would be much preferabe to a pay-as-you-go online service. On the
other hand, getting updates might prove to be a problem...

mt