[sci.electronics] Plans wanted for binary/BCD digital clock

erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) (04/02/91)

I have been trying to find plans or a kit to build a binary/BCD clock.
I am not concerned if it is 12 or 24 hour.  Are there any plans in any
old "Popular Electronics" or the like?  Does Heathkit make one?

Thanks,
-ethan
--
Ethan R. Dicks       | ######  This signifies that the poster is a member in
Software Results Corp|   ##    good sitting of Inertia House: Bodies at rest.

klf1305@chensun1.tamu.edu (Kelly L. Fergason) (04/04/91)

In article <102132@tut.cis.ohio-state.edu> erd@giza.cis.ohio-state.edu (Ethan R Dicks) writes:

>I have been trying to find plans or a kit to build a binary/BCD clock.
>I am not concerned if it is 12 or 24 hour.  Are there any plans in any
>old "Popular Electronics" or the like?  Does Heathkit make one?

	There is one in Elementary Electronics 10 or so years ago.
	If you don't find one, I could dig out the magazine.

Kelly
klf1305@sigma.tamu.edu

mattn@hplvec.LVLD.HP.COM (Matt Nieberger) (04/16/91)

>   I have been trying to find plans or a kit to build a binary/BCD clock.
>   I am not concerned if it is 12 or 24 hour.  Are there any plans in any
>   old "Popular Electronics" or the like?  Does Heathkit make one?

>   Thanks,

  Here is a  possible source: about 10 years ago I built a clock using
Radio Shack's 7-Segment LEDs and the schematic was contained in the
LED's package.  All you need is to:

  1) Obtain a copy of the schematic (My copy was lost many moves ago).

  2) remove the BCD-to-7SEG decoders and drive your own LED from the BCD.

  If the schematic can not be found, look at any circuit that sync's to the
60Hz AC line and build a counter (up to 60) for the seconds and use this
signal to drive the rest of the clock counters (hours and minutes). BTW
this is all that the Radio Shack schematic did.

  Wasn't it great when Radio Shack still included usefull schematics and
data sheets with all of their electronic components!!!!

                Matt Nieberger (mattn@hpmtlx.lvld.hp.com)
               { Insert standard company disclaimer here }

wm1h+@andrew.cmu.edu (Wayne Alan Martin) (04/19/91)

I am fairly sure a design for a digital binary clock was featured in a recent
(meaning last couple of years) issue of radio electronics or its sister
publication hands-on-electronics.  The basic design is simple, just some
cascaded counters with a reset logic on reaching 60.  Hope this helps.

Wayne Martin