[sci.electronics] How to detect SLOOOOW AM?

rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) (04/16/91)

 I'm wondering if anyone can point me in some direction to
 figure out the following problem:

 We have GEOS weather satellite receiver.  The converter on the
 dish comes out with an AM signal representing pixel values
 from the images.  It is an a 2KHZ "carrier" (yup, that
 2,000 Hz - audio).  There are about 500 pixels per line, so
 I guess that the detected signal I want varies at that rate.

 The question is, how does one detect such a low frequency
 AM signal with the information of interest being such a
 large percantage of the carrier frequency?

 Presumably, one could use a full wave detector, with a
 capacitor to "smooth out" the carrier, but it seems like it
 would take a large (and lossy) cap to do this (not like
 standard AM radio detectors).  (EE's - forgive this description,
 I'm a digital type :-)

 Any suggestions on this?

 Please either E-Mail me or post here.

 THANKS!

 - Bob Wier

 -------------- insert favorite standard disclaimers here ----------
                      College of Engineering
         Northern Arizona University / Flagstaff, Arizona
  Internet: rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu | BITNET: WIER@NAUVAX | WB5KXH
                or   uucp:  ...arizona!naucse!rrw

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (04/17/91)

In article <3632@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier)
writes:
> It is an a 2KHZ "carrier" (yup, that
>  2,000 Hz - audio).

2 KHz?  I'd run it through an A-D and do the "demodulation" in software.

I know it's perverse, but it should work.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

tonya@hpldsla.sid.hp.com (Tony Arnerich) (04/18/91)

 > We have GEOS weather satellite receiver.  The converter on the
 > dish comes out with an AM signal representing pixel values
 > from the images.  It is an a 2KHZ "carrier" (yup, that
 > 2,000 Hz - audio).  There are about 500 pixels per line, so
 > I guess that the detected signal I want varies at that rate.

 > The question is, how does one detect such a low frequency
 > AM signal with the information of interest being such a
 > large percantage of the carrier frequency?

What's the percentage? You haven't told us what the pixel transmission
rate is. It *sounds* like you might think it's 500 pixels per second.

tonya@sid.hp.com

kkenny@wind.nrtc.northrop.com (Kevin B. Kenny KE9TV) (04/20/91)

In article <3632@naucse.cse.nau.edu> rrw@naucse.cse.nau.edu (Robert Wier) writes:
> We have GEOS weather satellite receiver.  The converter on the
> dish comes out with an AM signal representing pixel values
> from the images.  It is an a 2KHZ "carrier" (yup, that
> 2,000 Hz - audio).  There are about 500 pixels per line, so
> I guess that the detected signal I want varies at that rate.
>
> The question is, how does one detect such a low frequency
> AM signal with the information of interest being such a
> large percantage of the carrier frequency?

OK, here are a couple of ideas.

If you really want to do this with analog hardware, check out
`synchronous demodulation.'  The idea here is to phaselock a local
oscillator to the 2400 Hz (check your numbers -- the WEFAX carrier is
2400 Hz, not 2000) carrier, and mix it with the incoming signal to get
a level signal that you can then A/D or whatever.

A variant on this technique is to use the local 2400 Hz (or 4800, or
9600; any divisor of 4x the carrier frequency will do) to control a
resettable integrator that is used to demodulate the AM.  I've had
good success with this technique in a homebrew WEFAX demodulator.

The easiest way by far, though, is to use digital techniques.  Just
oversample the signal and demodulate it in software.

I can probably drag some schematics and code fragments out of my
notebooks if you *really* need them.  Please don't bother me for them
if you don't.... it will be a fair amount of work to find them.

73 es gud luk de ke9tv/6, Kevin