[sci.electronics] Programming ROM/EPROM/PLA/etc

SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu (STEPHEN POLKOWSKI) (04/17/91)

Hi all,

       I would like to develop my own eprom programmer using a 68000 family pro
cessor.  My question is: where does one find the specs for programming memory c
hips? Do the manufactures publish specs on how to program their chips?  Any
information would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Steve

In article <91107.095104SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu> SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu (STEPHEN POLKOWSKI) writes:
>       I would like to develop my own eprom programmer using a 68000 family pro
>cessor.  My question is: where does one find the specs for programming memory c
>hips? Do the manufactures publish specs on how to program their chips? ...

For EPROMs, unlike PALs, the datasheets include programming specs, so you
want to get some EPROM datasheets.  EPROM programming is pretty easy.
--
And the bean-counter replied,           | Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
"beans are more important".             |  henry@zoo.toronto.edu  utzoo!henry

refling@envy.eng.uci.edu (John Refling) (04/20/91)

In article <91107.095104SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu> SCP100@psuvm.psu.edu (STEPHEN POLKOWSKI) writes:

>Hi all,
>
>       I would like to develop my own eprom programmer using a 68000 family pro
>cessor.  My question is: where does one find the specs for programming memory c
>hips? Do the manufactures publish specs on how to program their chips?  Any
>information would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks,
>Steve

I started in on the task of building my own programmer, but was lucky
enough to find one at a swap meet for $5, so I put down the soldering
iron!  I did do the research though.  Here are articles that I found
which tell you everthing you need to know about eprom programming and
give schematics too.  They are based on inexpensive cpu/controllers.
The 68000 seems like overkill.

1.  Minimal eprom programmer. B.J. Sokol. Electronics and wireless
    world, June 1987.  pp 619-21.  + follow-up article.  [uses 6402]

2.  Intelligent eprom programmer.  J.H. Adams.  Electronics and wireless
    world, Nov 1984.  pp 43-6. + follow-up article. [uses 8035]

3.  Improved software and circuits speed eprom programming. Robert W.
    Davis.  EDN, OCt 27, 1983.  pp315-22.

These include the theory and specs for programming.  #3 above is best.
There is also a Ciarcia's circuit cellar in byte dealing with eprom
programming.   Good Luck!